General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who keeps their bike clean ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm with the "Keep it Clean" bunch. I'm a lot like one of the other responders. I grew up poor and had to work hard for everything, so I take care of it. And yes, it's much easier to keep it clean than it is to let it get crusty, then try to get hardened brake dust and road grime off.

Besides, why install "dress up items" and then let the bike get grimy? I don't get that.

I'm not poor anymore. I have quite a few "big boy toys". But I'm not so well off I can afford to let my stuff go to hell either.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Man i live on a 1/2 mile private gravel road. I used to be a OCD about keeping it clean but now i just usually hit it with Original Bike Spirits and a micro fiber to clean it up a bit. By the time i reach the highway it has dust all over the back no matter how slow i putt.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
reddogmurf
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never let it get to the point where it will take me long to get it clean. Its not a bad thing though to sit in the garage cleaning the bike while putting a few cold ones down.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I've gone all summer with just a soft brush while sitting out in the rain. Bring it in, chamois to keep it from water spotting. Never use soap. Never put it on a lift just to clean it, clean the bottom when it's on a lift for a tire change, and maybe some chrome polish on the pipes then. Exception - when I get to play in the mud, that's more than just rain will handle, one of the rare times I'll use a hose on it, but without a nozzle, no pressure. If I've gotten it out in snow in the winter, it's usually pretty dirty by the time I put it out in a spring rain. Don't have to worry about washing the salt off - I just don't ride when that's out there.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:54 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I take pride in my bike and keep it clean.Of course I'm retired and have nothing better to do.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,945 Likes on 4,025 Posts

I give my bike a good wipe down after each ride. It is garaged so it really does not get that dirty. Every few months I have a buddy who use to manage an auto spa detail my bike.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

My bikes stay clean at all times. If I'm on the road for a long trip they get bugged up and hit with basic road dirt. When I get home, they get a complete de-snailing with a leaf blower dry off. Then I go over every inch with whatever polish, sealer or wax that is appropriate. They get a complete wipe down after every ride regardless of how long or short. My garage is heated/ac and fully carpeted. I spend a lot of time out there in the winter, barefoot, tunes, beer and shining my rides. If I wanted a rat bike, I'd buy one. Keep my house, cars and business the same way, call it OCD or whatever, I call it pride in the things I've broke my butt for.

The following users liked this post:
Russ103 (08-23-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,945 Likes on 4,025 Posts

I follow the philosophy that if you take care of your car, bike, and guns they will take care of you.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM
gee tee
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During winter I like to strip and clean as much of the bike as possible and then put a hard wax on the paint(including the frame)and the chrome that doesn't get hot,so all summer all it takes is a wash and dry to look good.
I stripped the fork legs so I use metal polish/wax on them every couple of months.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:38 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I never let any of my bikes get high and when they are going to be unsupervised and garaged I make sure there's no dope left lying around - so my bikes are always clean.

The following users liked this post:
bettingpython (05-18-2016)

Quick Reply: who keeps their bike clean ?