General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who keeps their bike clean ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:33 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I get asked all the time "how long does it take to clean/polish it?"
I clean it after every ride. Keeping it clean is a lot easier than only doing it every now and then.
Once its cooled down...say 30 mins, i give it a wipe over with detail cleaner and put the cover on. Done.
People who say "you mustn't ride very much" and have dirty bikes, in my opinion are just lazy.
Its not that hard too keep them clean.

Yes Brother, this should be kept clean. I like yer thinkin'.

I like it clean too.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i have better things to do too, but i like my stuff clean. no differant than cleaning my guns after shooting them or cleaning your dick after using it.
No need to clean guns after shooting every time unless you are using corrosive ammo. My carry and home defense guns are always clean, my range toys go several trips between cleaning.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
No need to clean guns after shooting every time unless you are using corrosive ammo. My carry and home defense guns are always clean, my range toys go several trips between cleaning.
My old drill sergeant would not agree with you.

I keep my guns clean to a "gunstore display" level at all times.

I keep my motorcycle clean to a "showroom" level at all times after riding. It is just plain easier to do this than to try to play "catch up" once the dirt gets ahold of a bike.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
I get asked all the time "how long does it take to clean/polish it?"
I clean it after every ride. Keeping it clean is a lot easier than only doing it every now and then.
Once its cooled down...say 30 mins, i give it a wipe over with detail cleaner and put the cover on. Done.
People who say "you mustn't ride very much" and have dirty bikes, in my opinion are just lazy.
Its not that hard too keep them clean.

Very nice bike! It does look new.
I agree, it doesn't take all that long to keep them clean if you keep them clean.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:28 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
My old drill sergeant would not agree with you.

I keep my guns clean to a "gunstore display" level at all times.
A lot of those old drill sergeants don't know anything more about firearms than what they were taught in the Army. Over cleaning of guns can actually be bad, especially on barrels.

When I was deployed my M-16 was cleaned every morning because I had to get the sand out of it so I could rely on it, and I was living in a filthy environment.

When I was an LEO I would take apart my duty gun and wipe every thing down once a week (unless it was exposed to excessive dirt, water etc...).

My range guns that get maybe 50-100 rounds put through them each session don't need to be cleaned every trip (unless you are shooting corrosive ammo).

Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 PM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

I spent most of yesterday washing, waxing and polishing my bike. It's new so I had to get the first coat on it. Now it will be just a wipe down after a ride.

Last edited by A206Driver; 11-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:43 PM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I try to keep them clean, but they keep getting the stuff from their friends... Oh, about Hunter...I met him once...he was chittinghimselfinfear. Afraid of the club...long time ago.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:09 PM
gduncan
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving....

I keep all my rides clean. Throughout my teens, I hustled and detailed cars for money and that followed me to this day. It's therapeutic so I say, to each their own.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I ride mine thru the local car wash once a month. It's amazing how clean they and you get if you do it this way. The hot wax at the end is especially soothing.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,242 Likes on 7,387 Posts

S.D.M.F. That is a beautiful bike. I love that classic look and all the chrome.

I love to polish on my bike and like it to always be clean and ready to ride. I use Cycle Care Formula 33 after every ride. Easy to use with a micro fiber cloth on paint, plastic and chrome.

Yesterday I removed the side covers and cleaned both sides throughly and the bike parts under the covers. I am always amazed at how dirty it gets under those covers. Next time I will clean under the motor and frame expose don't to the road.

Quick Reply: who keeps their bike clean ?