General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Lowrider puttering

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:35 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice above and if your not very mechanical and breaking open a carb scares you go search Harley cv carbs on you tube and watch some videos you might not want to follow all their modifications but you will see that it's not a very hard thing to do I bought an extra carb for 100 bucks just to mess with then jetted it so all I had to do was switch out one for the other. I have a 99 lowrider and my original jets were quite dirty my accelerator pump diaphragm was bad before I was confident how to do it I took it to a local shop 110 dollars and all they did was change accelerator pump and its a 10 dollar part so that's when I decided I have to figure this thing out. They are easy to work on I'm not a perfect tuner but if bike is stock then it's fairly easy I about got mine dialed in for stage one anyways sorry for rambling just get after it your self it's easy and you will save a lot of money pm me if you got any questions I have a manual I'm pretty sure it covers your year

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Vic Williams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Ok, I figure it was an evo as intake leaks are a common problem, but twin cams share a very similar intake set up as evo's, carb'd twin cams anyways. You say when you pull the enrichener out, that the issue goes away. This tells me that you have a lean condition and the engine is starved for fuel. While it may be a good idea to pull the carb apart and clean it, which means replacing the jets (theyre too cheap to bother cleaning), soaking it in cleaning vinegar for a while, replacing the float needle and cleaning the needle seat, and a new bowl gasket, I would do this first.

Fire the bike up, warm it up. At idle, spray some WD-40, or brake cleaner (NON-CHLORINE BRAKE CLEANER!!! SUPER IMPORTANT!!! YOUR LIFE COUNTS ON IT!!!!) around the intake manifold where the flanges meet the heads. If the bike sputters or stumbles, you have an intake leak, and you know what your problem is. Clean up your carb, and replace the intake gaskets. Because the enrichener fixes this issue you're having, it has to be an intake leak. I would still clean the carb anyways though.

There is no stupid snake oil fuel additive or cleaner that you put in your gas tank that will fix these problems. Those things are for stupid people with no mechanical knowledge or ability but have all the money in the world to spend.
Thanks man. Im going to give it a look this weekend. Ill let you know if that was the problem.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Vic Williams
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Ok, I figure it was an evo as intake leaks are a common problem, but twin cams share a very similar intake set up as evo's, carb'd twin cams anyways. You say when you pull the enrichener out, that the issue goes away. This tells me that you have a lean condition and the engine is starved for fuel. While it may be a good idea to pull the carb apart and clean it, which means replacing the jets (theyre too cheap to bother cleaning), soaking it in cleaning vinegar for a while, replacing the float needle and cleaning the needle seat, and a new bowl gasket, I would do this first.

Fire the bike up, warm it up. At idle, spray some WD-40, or brake cleaner (NON-CHLORINE BRAKE CLEANER!!! SUPER IMPORTANT!!! YOUR LIFE COUNTS ON IT!!!!) around the intake manifold where the flanges meet the heads. If the bike sputters or stumbles, you have an intake leak, and you know what your problem is. Clean up your carb, and replace the intake gaskets. Because the enrichener fixes this issue you're having, it has to be an intake leak. I would still clean the carb anyways though.

There is no stupid snake oil fuel additive or cleaner that you put in your gas tank that will fix these problems. Those things are for stupid people with no mechanical knowledge or ability but have all the money in the world to spend.
So I did your test. It turns out, I have an intake leak on both sides. One worse than the other. Heres a video....Let me know what you think

Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Vic Williams
Advanced
Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

If it is the gasket between carb and manifold I would say the first one looks right but the second one looks like same thing not sure what the other two rings are

Old 05-24-2016, 01:48 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Okay looked again not sure that you need all that if Harley shop is close would just go get gasket for between carb and intake assuming that was the problem

Also just watched the video and I see you are pointing nozzle at the back of intake so I'm guessing if that's where leak is then the first kit is the one you need. I couldn't really hear the revs go up when you sprayed tho so I'm not sure.

Last edited by tcarson84; 05-24-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Vic Williams
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Okay looked again not sure that you need all that if Harley shop is close would just go get gasket for between carb and intake assuming that was the problem

Also just watched the video and I see you are pointing nozzle at the back of intake so I'm guessing if that's where leak is then the first kit is the one you need. I couldn't really hear the revs go up when you sprayed tho so I'm not sure.
If you listen when i start spraying around 35 seconds. you can hear the revs go way down...

Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

What were you spraying i thought revs were supposed to go up? But that's with like carb cleaner or something like that

Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic Williams
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/433-819 this is what you need. Clean your carb good while you're at it anyways. If you need to know what parts are just ask in the evo section... they can help you way more with that CV carb than any of these twinkie riders. By the way, you have a pretty bad intake leak. Hey, it happens man... those intake gaskets don't last forever. Bike sounds like it runs like a raped ape otherwise. You're now on your way to setting yourself apart from the majority of these idiots here, and that is a Harley rider with mechanical knowledge who can turn his own wrenches and knows what makes his bike roll down the road. Congratulations.
Originally Posted by tcarson84
What were you spraying i thought revs were supposed to go up? But that's with like carb cleaner or something like that
Please, shut up and stop giving advice. You're not qualified to do it.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Thank you for letting me know that I don't know that is much appreciated

And sorry I was at work when I watched the video so I didn't have volume very loud.

Last edited by tcarson84; 05-24-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna Lowrider puttering