General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower back

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 08:52 PM
Johnnyh14
|
Road Warrior
Default Lower back

In the last 2 years hitting a moderate bump caused my lower back to jolt a little. I am looking for a possible solution with bike geometry. Any one suggest a change in handle bar hight or distance that helped them with s similar problem.

Old 05-13-2016 | 09:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've never liked forward controls for that reason. I can pull myself up and stand on the floorboards of my Road King if I need to but on my BMW GS or my Suzuki DR, all I have to do is stand on the pegs a bit to take most of the load off my butt when I hit a bump. One thing I like about the Switchback is that the floorboards are set up almost like my Road King.

Old 05-13-2016 | 10:35 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

Possible solutions:

- Backrest
- Seat re-contoured to create space for tailbone
- Airhawk seat pad
- Neutrally-placed bars (not high, not too low)
- "mid-style" foot pegs (instead of forward-mounted)

Old 05-13-2016 | 10:43 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

The solution is to look at touring bikes and adventure bikes and emulate that riding posture. No forward controls and no ape hangers. Leaning slightly and I mean slightly forward is better than leaning back. Big soft seats are not always the best choice. The seat on my ADV bike feels like a rock compared to some yet it is the saddle I road for 6000 miles on everyday for 10 hours a day with no pain.

Lastly, everyone is different and trial and error is the only answer. But seriously, do look at the guys who ride around the world and try to get closer to that. Granted that's not always easy on a Harley.

Old 05-13-2016 | 11:28 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

A quick google search shows that your '03 Superglide has mid-controls.

If that is not helping your riding ergonomics, then it is time to look for a new bike.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Old 05-13-2016 | 11:29 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Doesn't help with the bumps much, but helps overall comfort.

Rider back rest and bars that are about even with your shoulders.

makes the rest of the ride better to recover from the bumps.

Old 05-13-2016 | 11:33 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

In the past I've also had issues with my lower back and felt that my bike's suspension may be the culprit but the problem was actually my back and NOT my bike.

With my wife continually trying to get me to do some "stretching" exercises, I finally gave in.
The easiest one IMHO was the one that seemed to give me some instant relief and it was as simple as getting in the shower and (without bending my knees) bending over (as far as I could) and putting my hands (as flat as I could) on the shower floor and hold that position for approximately one minute, then stand up straight then repeat through the course of my shower.

I liked doing this while hot (as hot as I could tolerate it) running over my lower back and after a few days of this, along with cutting back on the amount of food I had been eating, I could feel a difference.

If you've tried Aleve or other over the counter meds without any positive results you've got nothing to lose by giving this a try.

The following users liked this post:
GTK (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016 | 04:45 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Very bad back myself...had one discectomy done so far, several more disks to go. My lower back is shot...from L2, all the way to S1.

Couple of bikes ago, when I had an FXD, I had the stock mid controls, and I had highway pegs that I used most of the time like forward controls..except I shifted and used brake with my heals. Allowed me to shift my legs to mids...or out front like forwards.

Bike after that was an FLHS..touring. Forwards. Roomier and more comfy than the FXD. But...being seated up high was so-so for me. Rode a buds Softail a few times..and my body LOVED that position. So I set out to get a Softail. Hence bike in my sig pic. Like a lazy boy recliner...so damn comfy.

I'm 6'5" with 36" inseam.

Things that you can do to really change up a bike for your comfort..
*Bars
*Seat. Lots of good seats out there. I love Mustang. Two of my buddies love LaPera.
*Where your feet go

You can change those up relatively inexpensively. Your comfort should be worth the expense and effort.

Old 05-14-2016 | 12:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

You'd be amazed at how much a quality set of shocks will reduce the impact to the seat.

Old 05-14-2016 | 01:08 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
You'd be amazed at how much a quality set of shocks will reduce the impact to the seat.

I have 3 bulging discs, degenerative disc disease, and was born with mild scoliosis.

I used to cringe whenever I saw a bumpy stretch of road coming up. Folks here will argue endlessly about what are the best, but I got rid of the shitty air shocks on my Ultra and put Progressive 944s on my bike and a Mustang seat. Made a world of difference. I can do a 600 mile day and still be in pretty good shape at the end.

Stock shocks suck.

Quick Reply: Lower back