General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Riders club of america

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 PM
UNCCHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Riders club of america

ORIGINAL: mberger

As executive director of the Motorcycle Riders Club of America, I'd like to address the comments made in this thread:

For what its worth, folks, the MRCA is not a scam or "BS". We are part of North American Media Group (the same company that runs the North American Hunting Club and North American Fishing Club). Club members get a subscription to a customized version of Rider Magazine (with an additional 16-page Club section that's not available on newsstands), and yes, the opportunity to test motorcycle-related products. In our current issue of Rider, our riders tested and reviewed over $7,000 worth of product, so while not every one of our current members gets a product every month to test, it does averageout to about 1 product per member every 12-15 months or so. And no, we don't just get 1 sample of a productfrom the manufacturer. We generally request about $1000 of product per item that we send out to our members to be tested. So for example, if we test a helmet that retails for around $120, it means we'll be sending out 8 helmets. If we set up a test of a $12 wrench, we'll be send out 83 wrenches for our members to test.

As director of the MRCA, I'd welcome you to try the club and the magazine before you simply put it down as "BS." I've been riding bikes for over 20 years, I'm president of Lake Chapter of A.B.A.T.E. of MN and I serve on Minnesota's Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee -- I think I know a little about motorcycling, and I feel our club as some pretty decent things to offer its members. All I ask is that, rather than simply judging, why not at least get an issue of the magazine, see what the Club has to offer and then make your decision?

Regards,
Mike Berger
Exec. Director
MRCA

If someone is not pleased with his membership, will you offer a full and prompt refund, in writing?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

samples sent to me were cheap chit.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
LTrain
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sledgeb1

If someone is not pleased with his membership, will you offer a full and prompt refund, in writing?
My invitation clearly said they would refund the money if you didn't like it.

I don't know exactly how this works, even after the officer's description.

I do know that my father was treasurer or something of Muskie's Inc. That local chapter got tons of stuff for free from a bunch of fishing related companies. The chapter gave the stuff as door prizes and such. I'm sure the theory was, give one member a good lure and the rest will go buy it. Seems like a good idea for the lure company if they actually make good lures.

(There were also rods, reels, rain suits, and who knows what else. Nothing too expensive like an out board or a boat, but still.)

Oh, and Muskie's Inc didn't even ask for the stuff. The companies just sent them.

While my dad was an officer he didn't accept any of the prizes, but when he was a regular member he won some pretty good lures and a decent buck knife.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 PM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent my check, worse case scenario, I read another magazine.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the company is legit but a number of people on the fishing threads didn't feel it was a good deal for testing merchandise..most did say their magazine was ok. A number of people also complained about being put on other mailing lists and receiving a lot of junk mail from related companies.

But form your own opinion - it's not for me but neither was the fishing or hunting club.

These are some threads I found related to the club - there may be more positive ones out there and Mr. Berger is welcome to post as well:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...82036/page/216

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=498479

http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ul...c;f=1;t=005329

Old 05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

I was a member of their Handyman's Club of America. Seems it was $12 yearly. The magazine was actually pretty good. Was able to make a few things from it for around the house.
As for testing, I got a BOX KNIFE! I'd see all these power tools being sent out, and that's what I got![:@]
All in all though, it was a good mag.
My guess is that this would be too.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bit on your so called club crap years ago. Worthless magizines IMO.(Hunting and Fishing) I somehow doubt that yet another venture will be any better. That Camo stick wasn't worth didly, and the 3 or 4 hooks I got in the mail were tossed.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,320 Likes on 6,129 Posts

ORIGINAL: mberger

As executive director of the Motorcycle Riders Club of America, I'd like to address the comments made in this thread:

For what its worth, folks, the MRCA is not a scam or "BS". We are part of North American Media Group (the same company that runs the North American Hunting Club and North American Fishing Club). Club members get a subscription to a customized version of Rider Magazine (with an additional 16-page Club section that's not available on newsstands), and yes, the opportunity to test motorcycle-related products. In our current issue of Rider, our riders tested and reviewed over $7,000 worth of product, so while not every one of our current members gets a product every month to test, it does averageout to about 1 product per member every 12-15 months or so. And no, we don't just get 1 sample of a productfrom the manufacturer. We generally request about $1000 of product per item that we send out to our members to be tested. So for example, if we test a helmet that retails for around $120, it means we'll be sending out 8 helmets. If we set up a test of a $12 wrench, we'll be send out 83 wrenches for our members to test.

As director of the MRCA, I'd welcome you to try the club and the magazine before you simply put it down as "BS." I've been riding bikes for over 20 years, I'm president of Lake Chapter of A.B.A.T.E. of MN and I serve on Minnesota's Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee -- I think I know a little about motorcycling, and I feel our club as some pretty decent things to offer its members. All I ask is that, rather than simply judging, why not at least get an issue of the magazine, see what the Club has to offer and then make your decision?

Regards,
Mike Berger
Exec. Director
MRCA
I am a member of the fishing club. Here are some things to consider before joining.

1- The magazine is OK at best.

2- I recieve about 3-5 pieces of junk mail from them per week. Its always some great "Deal for club members only", trying to me sell anything from auto insurance to collectable figurines.

3- If you write to them to complain, you will not hear back or get a response.

4- Every time I get a "Test product" its been either a 2 - 3 dollar fishing lure or some other piece of crap thats not even worth your time to evaluate.

5- As soon as you join one "Club" you will get a requestto joinevery other "Club" that they
operate.

6- They send sh*t to your house without asking, and expect payment.

7- IMO, its a waste of money and time.

Mberger, someone above posted that you offer a refund if we are not happy with the club. I am a life member of the your fishing club and I am not happy with it. PM me so I can give you the address to send my refund check.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:04 PM
SonnyEdmonds
Stage I

OK.
First Post.
This MRCRA is the very same BS as the Handyman Club of Amerika was, and very likely the same as the others mentioned. A vertual RIP-OFF. [sm=badidea.gif]

Oh, and would you like fry's with that berger? [:'(]

Ex-California Biker. Hung it up after 35 years of hard core.
Keep the faith Brothers. Ride free.

Sonny Edmonds

Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
kyguy
Cruiser

They also have a Cooking Club of America. My wife almost joined, after checking it out on the net, she also found out it was BS[:@]

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Riders club of america