General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Rub Marks On Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paint Rub Marks On Tank?

Hey Guys,

I searched and found some similar things, but not quite sure exactly whats going on. I bought a 2015 street bob in great condition where the owner bought last May. When leaving the garage this morning with my headlights on the bike, I noticed a cloudy-dull spot on the gas tank. Inspecting closer, it looks like micro scratches from jeans rubbing down the clear coat or something. Everything is still black paint, but the area is just dull and cloudy. Does this come with the territory? Any ways to get this out or at least much less noticeable? I could live with it and wouldn't want to pay to repaint the tank, but wondering others experiences. Thanks for any insight/help.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You could always buy those rubber tank pads that go on the side of the tank where your legs rub against it.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Yes, or the clear film. But the damage is done, just wondering if this kind of thing is normal or if the practically new paint can be warrantied? I still have a year left. Luckily its not super noticeable. Just variations in glare.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Polish it out with some Mequier's 105 and then 205. When you're done cover the area with some clear 3M adhesive paint protector. If those scratch over time, you can replace it without wearing down your paint from the constant polishing.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a bottle of THIS stuff and it works great for me!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine gets the same thing. Buff it out, put a good coat of wax on it and go riding. It's to the point now that it doesn't bother me much. I used to worry about every little scratch & imperfection, but finally accepted that I'm not riding a show bike. If you ride, stuff like that is gonna happen, and obsessing over it isn't worth it to me anymore.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 AM
miles miles miles
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue on my 2014 flhtk. the dealer said it is a non-issue just polish it out. I told them it happens every time I ride it and if I "polish it out" each time we will have no clear coat in no time flat.
I believe with the government dictating what chemicals and fumes are permitted, the paint finishes have suffered. The paint on new bikes dont have the "depth" to it as once was a standard on all HD bikes. The CVO is somewhat better but still doesnt compare to my '09 Rocker.
Just sayin.. not really sure what the fix is except the 3m plastic sticker that the dealer said to put on is.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Good to know its a common thing and my paint isn't defective. I'll try the polish thing!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

Try to relax a little when you're riding. There's no need to squeeze the tank with your knees and hold on for dear life. lol

Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I obsess over my paint too much as well. I'm getting better at accepting imperfections but it takes time. I use Zaino Z5 and Z2, Poor Boys Blackhole and Blackfire Black Ice carnauba wax. My paint jobs are over 5 years old and people think I just had them painted.

Quick Reply: Paint Rub Marks On Tank?