General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Rub Marks On Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Stop rubbing your legs on the gas tank.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

The paint on my tank is still pretty solid, maybe a few very light scratches that need buffed out, but my rear fender and side covers are a different story - I have scuff marks from seat cover straps, bungee cords, helmet straps, and other various sundry bits that have scuffed the paint while vibrating and blowing down the road. I used to be absolutely fastidious with my bikes and cars...but have come to the realization that each of those marks is part of a memory, reminders of the rides that were. Like scars on my tired old body, they serve to kindle memories of times past...

Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 333 Likes on 175 Posts

I had the dull finish on the left side of my tank, couldn't figure out why then it hit me, when I shift for some reason my knee was hitting the tank. Got a new bike now and trying to break that habit before it looks the same. It wasn't anything to get too worked up over.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

A few dull spots and scratches just add a little character and sure don't keep 'em from runnin'.

Roll on..

Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by ejewels
Anyone try mcquires scratch 2.0? Or any recommendations on stuff to use to "fix it"?
Right company, but I recommend their 105 polish followed by the 205 and then wax it.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:37 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the problem with the rear corners of my gas tank on my 06 from my inner thighs rubbing, might be positioning with the mustang seat because I don't have that problem on my 89.

I used HD swirl and scratch remover in the past and it worked for a while. Recently I used Chemical Guys V36 and microfiber pad on a dual action polisher to do my tank and it looks as good as new if not better. I did the whole bike and got rid of all the micro scratches in the paint.

The V36 will also make the the stock plastic inner dash shine like it was painted.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbk
I have the problem with the rear corners of my gas tank on my 06 from my inner thighs rubbing, might be positioning with the mustang seat because I don't have that problem on my 89.

I used HD swirl and scratch remover in the past and it worked for a while. Recently I used Chemical Guys V36 and microfiber pad on a dual action polisher to do my tank and it looks as good as new if not better. I did the whole bike and got rid of all the micro scratches in the paint.

The V36 will also make the the stock plastic inner dash shine like it was painted.
What polisher did you use. I'm looking to do the same and only want to buy what is absolutely necessary.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM
scootertex
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a small rub on the left side of my Road King tank as well. Two things I've picked up on this thread since reading all the replies:
1. Is it more common on black or dark colored bikes? My light blue Heritage never developed this rub or else the color was too light to detect it. RK is black.
2. My rub is left side only. Shifting on the fatter RK vs. Hertage?

Not a major concern for me either way, just character marks I guess. Sounds like a easy fix if it ever bothers me though.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I almost bought a denim black Fatboy S. The sales person told me that scratches will happen on the tank from my knees and the denim paint would exacerbate the problem. Not sure how true that is, but I ended up going with the gloss black to minimize the issue. I know that doesn't help with your current situation, but it's still a concern to me. I am clinically obsessive compulsive. The idea of scratches scares the crap outta me.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I don't get is how can polishing / waxing etc. help? Seems like I literally rubbed off clear coat. Its still black, but cloudy and dull in that area. Do those products really work?

Quick Reply: Paint Rub Marks On Tank?