General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light modulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 AM
Aveyday
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light modulation

Quick question. My tail light blinks 5 times and becomes solid when brakes are applied. Is this legal in the state of Massachusetts? And if not, do you have to replace the entire tail light, or is there a way to stop the modulation. Thanks

Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Could be an aftermarket taillight, or a modual (a few different kinds/brands) likely under your seat, or wherever the rear harness plugs into the main harness. Changing a setting, or removing it will stop it.

While it MAY be technically illegal, consensus is that no cop is going to mess with you for something like that, which just makes you more noticeable in the world.

IIRC, cops use blue lights in MA, so that's not the issue.

No law against manually flashing your brakes lights . . . so I say roll the dice.

I use a flasher too. Worth the infintecimal risk of a ticket, I'd say.

The following users liked this post:
Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Quite often the flashing is handled by a module that turns your running lights into brake lights as well. Pull your seat and see if there is an odd looking jumble of wires/connectors where the rear fender comes up through the frame. Depending on the bike this is where the module is inserted into the brake/run light wires running to the rear of the bike. Many of the modules will have a jumper labeled "flasher". If it's there you can usually pull it with no issue to turn it back into just a solid light. Obviously test it before you put the seat back on.

All that said anything that will help get the attention of the driver behind you is a good thing. So unless some LEO give you a hard time about it, I'd suggest leave it flashing.

Ride safe!

Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Too many people are texting while they drive. I would leave it.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Too many people are texting while they drive. I would leave it.

I take it you just got the bike recently.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aveyday
Quick question. My tail light blinks 5 times and becomes solid when brakes are applied. Is this legal in the state of Massachusetts? And if not, do you have to replace the entire tail light, or is there a way to stop the modulation. Thanks

I live in Massachusetts [fricken nanny state that it is], and have been running Custom Dynamics brake light modulator on my Road Glide and a Bright *** modulator on my Fatboy for 4 years.

Can't answer as to whether it is/is not legal, but I've never been stopped for them despite many opportunities by law enforcement, both state and local. I'm hoping their reasonable assumption that the modulators are a safety enhancement and do no harm.

Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by CJeep
No law against manually flashing your brakes lights .
That's the right answer, I'm pretty sure tapping the brakes a few times to flash the brake lights is a common nation wide warning/alert for other drivers.
Here in Minn you can do just about anything you want with red tail lights,, and/or amber and white lights, you just can't have any red lights facing forward.
This brake light flash thing is an aftermarket add-on, somewhere on the bike you'll find a controller like this (or smaller);
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...be-set-at.html
Most have a selection or disable switch on them, but leave it on,, it might help someone see you.

Last edited by JohnMn; 04-18-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I work my hand brake lever, when I see someone in my mirror who's too close and creeping up on me. Most cars will show up as the whole thing in my mirror. But when all I can see is half of their front end, that's too damn close IMO.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i know that the custom dynamics controller has 11 selections. a couple of them are 50 state legal. i am pretty sure that 5 flashes then solid is one of them. you could go to their website and download the instructions, and they should tell you which ones are and which ones aren't.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

I want one of those on my bike.

Quick Reply: Brake light modulation