General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light modulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a BAL-1 in the worser nanny state of NJ (which I call the armpit as learned from all the other states). I don't care if it's legal or not. My safety comes first so I'll pay the fine if I get a summons. However I find it pretty hard pressed that cops would have an issue with it.

The following users liked this post:
Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I will add in, that with my CD LED tail light, my CD LED turn signals, and the modual that uses the rear sigs as brake lights, when I hit the brakes, it is BRIGHT. Ill never go back to one taillight only either. I like that there are 3 bright lights back there. Flashing 3 times then steady. If Im solo at a light, as a car approaches, to stop behind me, I let off and hit the brakes again for a fresh flash.

Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:58 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by LiiT

I take it you just got the bike recently.
Yes, according to his first post, the OP is a newbie. That isn't really a bad thing, we were all newbies at some time.

He was simply asking a question in order not to possibly break any laws. Since he is a newbie, he doesn't understand the significance of 'being seen'.

Aveyday, this modulation would be the same as manually 'flashing' your brake lights. And since some of us do that anyway, there is no way it could be illegal.

Since you are new, I would advise you to ride as if you are 'invisible' and no cage driver sees you. While you are riding, think to yourself 'what would that guy/gal do I wasn't here'?

And ride accordingly.

Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

It's legal under the fmv, i wouldn't worry about it. I have a soundoff signal ghost brake/ tail auxiliary light that does the same thing.

Aveyday (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 AM
Aveyday
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, you gave me a great place to start. The reason I'm looking into this is that last year the gentleman who did my bike inspection told me he couldn't give me one this year if the light was blinking. Maybe if it is a plug in I could remove it for the inspection, and put it back after. From a safety standpoint, the blinking light sounds like a no brainer. Thanks again

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Yes, according to his first post, the OP is a newbie. That isn't really a bad thing, we were all newbies at some time.

He was simply asking a question in order not to possibly break any laws. Since he is a newbie, he doesn't understand the significance of 'being seen'.

New to a forum does not necessarily mean new to riding. I had been riding already for about 40 years before I joined. I was suggesting that perhaps he had just gotten this particular bike and was not familiar with the setup.

Originally Posted by Aveyday
Thanks guys, you gave me a great place to start. The reason I'm looking into this is that last year the gentleman who did my bike inspection told me he couldn't give me one this year if the light was blinking. Maybe if it is a plug in I could remove it for the inspection, and put it back after. From a safety standpoint, the blinking light sounds like a no brainer. Thanks again
Check the rules for your state about the flashing. It's possible that it's OK to have it and the inspector not be aware. It may be that you won't have to remove it, but simply change the settings if there is a problem.

I have never had one of these on my bike, and usually just tap the front brake a few times if I have someone close behind, but am thinking of adding it.

All the best to you.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by LiiT
New to a forum does not necessarily mean new to riding. I had been riding already for about 40 years before I joined. I was suggesting that perhaps he had just gotten this particular bike and was not familiar with the setup.

True, but in his first post he claimed to be a "newby" which I took to mean a new rider.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aveyday
Never a problem with inspection [Boston Harley Davidson] in these four years. In fact, they did the BAL install over one winter while stored there...

Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

I installed red rear turn signal lenses along with a Badlands modulator that lights up my signals with my brake light each time my brake light comes on. It's three brake lights working together. My friends following me said it's way more noticeable. The left and right turn signals work as expected as blinkers but are red. Since the installation on my Harley I like so much I have installed a system that flashes the top LED brake light on my car five times before coming on solid. This is real bright and much more visible. Rather then being a pain in the butt flashing each time you hit the brake it needs to reset for 5 seconds before the third brake flashes again. It's cheap, small and well designed.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,444 Likes on 7,944 Posts

And since we are on the subject of brake lights, folks, don't forget to check them every so often to see if they are working. I don't ride at night very often, but had to ride tonight & I noticed when I was waiting for the wife to unlock the gate that I had no brake light & I have no idea how long it's been burned out. My complacency could have got me hurt or worse.

Quick Reply: Brake light modulation