General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INPUT WANTED: How's spark plug look to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
Looks good to me. And I'm just thinking out loud here...... But I think if your pipes are overheating that would be from a lean mixture. Air gets hotter then fuel.
Put your hand on them pipes and see how hot they are

Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,022 Likes on 4,992 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBob52
Put your hand on them pipes and see how hot they are
WAIT!!!! I got a guy for this!!!

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
Looks good to me. And I'm just thinking out loud here...... But I think if your pipes are overheating that would be from a lean mixture. Air gets hotter then fuel.
Not when you have a catalytic converter. When you have unburned fuel (HC)entering the converter it will superheat the cat because the fuel which would not burn in a normal muffler, will burn in a cat (which normally runs about 900 degrees F inside). Too much fuel and you will melt that cat into a blob.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

You can run a data log and email to Zippers with the details of what you are seeing. They may just tweak your map or decide to give you a new one to try.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Not when you have a catalytic converter. When you have unburned fuel (HC)entering the converter it will superheat the cat because the fuel which would not burn in a normal muffler, will burn in a cat (which normally runs about 900 degrees F inside). Too much fuel and you will melt that cat into a blob.
Ok. I was wrong. I was just brainstorming. I learn something new everyday. My bike doesn't have a CAT. So I didn't know for sure.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,990 Likes on 4,181 Posts

20K of driving on completely stock engines.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, HALLELUJAH! I finally got an email reply from Magnaflow! Miracles DO happen, I guess (I think in the form of urging from our MF guy who lurks the forums, here).
The cat glowing red is apparently a normal thing with their system (they're calling it a "Power Core"), but since my heat shield is discoloring from the heat, they are saying that it may be getting too hot because of the different gasoline content/mixture in Japan, which they have not tested with their pipes. So, they are going to send me some parts to fix the 2 issues I'm having with these pipes. The other being some leaking going on around the collector which only goes away (or alleviates somewhat) when system gets up to temperature.

Thanks kind folks for taking the time to give me your input. I am still going to go in and fiddle with the AFR a bit and see if I can't get a bit more mileage out of this thing...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 04-18-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Was wondering what kind gas mix you run over there, that purple tint on the insulator says additive of some kind to me.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,990 Likes on 4,181 Posts

That's pure popcorn fat..least what's on mine..

Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Well, HALLELUJAH! I finally got an email reply from Magnaflow! Miracles DO happen, I guess (I think in the form of urging from our MF guy who lurks the forums, here).
The cat glowing red is apparently a normal thing with their system (they're calling it a "Power Core"), but since my heat shield is discoloring from the heat, they are saying that it may be getting too hot because of the different gasoline content/mixture in Japan, which they have not tested with their pipes. So, they are going to send me some parts to fix the 2 issues I'm having with these pipes. The other being some leaking going on around the collector which only goes away (or alleviates somewhat) when system gets up to temperature.

Thanks kind folks for taking the time to give me your input. I am still going to go in and fiddle with the AFR a bit and see if I can't get a bit more mileage out of this thing...
I have been looking at that same exhaust, spoke to magnaflow, they said this system no longer has the cat.

Quick Reply: INPUT WANTED: How's spark plug look to you?