General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air cooled vs water

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 AM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: air cooled vs water

I don't know if air cooled engine run any hotter than liquid cooled ones. Usually the liquid cooled engines have more valves and run at higher revs. So they produce more heat. They would melt if they didn't have the liquid cooling. I was running my air cooled sport bike with a friend who had a liquid cooled sport bike through stop and go traffic on a hot day. Our engine temperatures were pretty close.

From reading the design about the design of the twin cam engined they had worked a long time to get the running temperature of the engine down. So perhaps it takes more time spent on engine design on an air cooled engine than on a liquid cooled. But having an air cooled engine is one less thing to have to worry about.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Josey Wales
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said it better and more p.c. than I would have! And let me just add my .02 cents.....F&ck water cooled and if you think it's better sell your harley, buy a ricer and leave us alone! (Oh Boy here comes the war...Flame away!)
ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

Rant on:

Will you just let it F&ckin' die already. Regardless of what gets posted on some internet forums the overwhelming majority of those that ride and buy H-D want Aircooled bikes. Radiators are ugly no matter where you try to hide them on a bike and water cooled bikes are far from perfect. I've seen too many to count on the side of the road in NYC in the middle of the summer pissing antifreeze all over the road. And that's a fact.

If you want a Water cooled bike, There are lots of rides out there from a zillion mfgs, incluiding cheap Chineese knockoffs that are avialble and they'll work just fine.

I've replaced enough water pumps, thremostats, gunked up radiators and split radiator hoses in my life to truly appreciate the simplicity of a carbed EVO.

I'll use my Code scanner to deal with my truck and Jeep to troubleshoot the FI when needed and deal with the added complexity of water cooling for an auto as well. When it comes to H-D, I'd rather jet the carb, install a good cam, tweak the ignition and thow on a set of pipes and then not worry about the damn thing and just ride it. It's alot easier than dealing with a Rice grinder's plastic body panel removal, shim under bucket valve adjustments every 10k, and mainitaining a properly functioing water cooling system.

Rant off:

Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also love the simplicity of the air cooled motor - far less clutter on the bike. With a water cooled bike that's one moreentire system that must be maintained and/or repaired. If one of those components on a water cooled vehicle fails you're out of the game and on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. On the air cooled bike if it does actually get that hot and shows symptoms of overheating, just pull over, let it cool and then get back on your way again.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S & S's new wedge engine will meet EPA requirements for years to come. Victory has things covered too. HD can and will spend the moneyto keep their air cooled engine EPAcertified. I do think you will see soon variations on the V Rod engine platform for those that want it (not me).

Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Barebackjack

S & S's new wedge engine will meet EPA requirements for years to come. Victory has things covered too. HD can and will spend the moneyto keep their air cooled engine EPAcertified. I do think you will see soon variations on the V Rod engine platform for those that want it (not me).
Well said [sm=smiley32.gif]

Like I said, does a liquid-cooled engine help make for a better overall bike...yes. Do I want one....I already have one, a Honda ST1300, great bike.....do I want a liquid cooled Harley? NO. I like my air-cooled bikes, they're simple and for me, they work well. MOCO and Wiley Ghave already PUPLICLY said, they have no intention of doing away with the air-cooled bikes. Yamaha outsells everyone, except Harley, in the cruiser segment, why? Because they build a good bike andtheir#1 and #2 sellingmodels are air-cooled.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales
You said it better and more p.c. than I would have! And let me just add my .02 cents.....F&ck water cooled and if you think it's better sell your harley, buy a ricer and leave us alone! (Oh Boy here comes the war...Flame away!)
yknow, harley sells a water cooled bike.

have you been riding long?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

Like I said, does a liquid-cooled engine help make for a better overall bike...yes. Do I want one....I already have one, a Honda ST1300, great bike.....do I want a liquid cooled Harley? NO. I like my air-cooled bikes, they're simple and for me, they work well. MOCO and Wiley Ghave already PUPLICLY said, they have no intention of doing away with the air-cooled bikes. Yamaha outsells everyone, except Harley, in the cruiser segment, why? Because they build a good bike andtheir#1 and #2 sellingmodels are air-cooled.
Interesting. I didn't know any of the big metric cruisers were still air cooled.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Clammy

ORIGINAL: Sam

Interesting. I didn't know any of the big metric cruisers were still air cooled.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Yep, the VStar 650, 1100, Road Star 1700, Warrior 1700, Stratoliner 1900and Roadliner 1900are belt driven and air cooled......they are also Yamaha's best selling models and are killing Victory, Honda, Suzuki and Kawi in that segment

Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to say I like the look of an air-cooler engine compared to a liquid cooled (vrod/twin-cam) for example much better-love those fins!