General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air cooled vs water

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: air cooled vs water

iam not a bike expert iam not even sure if bikes with water cooling have a thermatic fan that kicks in when you are standing still,
but if the bike dosnt have a thermatic fan to blow air through the radiator when the bike is still then wouldnt it bethe same as an air cooled bike??
Yep - they'll have a radiator fan. But even with the fan, I had two water cooled bikes (both Hondas - an '05 CBR600RR and '06 VTX1300) that had a habit of puking coolant when the temps got hot in stop and go traffic.

Give me the simplicity of an air/oil cooled bike ANY day.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TowJam

iam not a bike expert iam not even sure if bikes with water cooling have a thermatic fan that kicks in when you are standing still,
but if the bike dosnt have a thermatic fan to blow air through the radiator when the bike is still then wouldnt it bethe same as an air cooled bike??
Yep - they'll have a radiator fan. But even with the fan, I had two water cooled bikes (both Hondas - an '05 CBR600RR and '06 VTX1300) that had a habit of puking coolant when the temps got hot in stop and go traffic.
Had a Kaw 1500 Vulcan in this desert for five years. Never had it even drip coolant, and never had a heat problem.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to see an air-cooled car.Yeah, some have cooling vents but I think if air-cooled was better then a lot more engines would be air-cooled.Not that my bike runs hot, I've never had a problem with it,but I think if air was a better method of cooling our cars would look like a velocity stack in the front.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

VW bug (the old one)...air cooled. And the things won't die...

lp

ORIGINAL: jimb

I have yet to see an air-cooled car.Yeah, some have cooling vents but I think if air-cooled was better then a lot more engines would be air-cooled.Not that my bike runs hot, I've never had a problem with it,but I think if air was a better method of cooling our cars would look like a velocity stack in the front.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
blackbob
Tourer

I don't have a problem with water cooled bikes, if the night rod been a little cheaper I would have bought it rather than my Bob. From what I've read the oil needs to be 200-240 degrees to eliminate water and acids and the engine won't have problems till it approaches 300 degrees. I don't think the water cooled bikes are any more problematic than air cooled. For every water cooled bike busted on the side of the road I'm sure there was a Harley around as well. At the risk of being repetative, buy what you like and what fits your riding style.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: lp

VW bug (the old one)...air cooled. And the things won't die...

lp

ORIGINAL: jimb

They also have horrible heaters, which ia another function of a cooling system in a car.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Yeah there is a bunch of things horrible about the beetle... nothing new there..

Cheers!

lp

ORIGINAL: Clammy

They also have horrible heaters, which ia another function of a cooling system in a car.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I tried watercooling yesterday on my ride home from work .
Water everywhere I tell you . Then I started sputtering , no not the bike ME !
Friggen water running down my nose , across my lips ,off my chin ect , completely soaked .

Nope don't care for that water cooling ............ bike ran cooler though .

Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I live in South Florida and have ridden liquid cooled Hondas and air cooled Harleys. I will keep my air cooled Harley. Honda ran hot in stop and go traffic also. Again I will keep my Harley.
Oh, Did I mention I would rather ride my Harley.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM
GADave
Road Master

You can squeeze more performance out of a liquid cooled motor because components can be machined totighter tolerances since they'll be operating within a smaller temperature range. All engineering being equal -A liquid cooled 1000cc motor can make significantly better horsepower than an air cooled 1000cc motor.

The flip side is that an air cooled motor is easier and cheaper to juice up. Try putting a 110 inch kit on a stock 88" water cooled motor.

Dave

Quick Reply: air cooled vs water