Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 AM
MountainCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!

Got something taught to me today at riding school that I can't quite get my head around but it works. I was reading the manual before I went for my learners and there was a section that stated " to do a left hand turn... push on the left handle grip... and the bike goes left. Doing the same thing for a right turn is the same just the other handle bar. Today the instructor metioned that I try this in the parking lot which I did and the first time I tried I was amazed because it goes against all physics I have in my head. Can somebody explain this phenomenon of pushing on the left handle bar causes the bike to lean left and turn. Why does it happen? The instructor explained the situation for using this technique is when going into a corner too fast using this method should help in making the corner. Hope this makes sense.

MC

Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!

Yep, it's called counter-steering. I haven't had any riding courses, but am teaching myself. I don't know WHY it works, but know that it definately does work. If I had to guess, though, I would say that the reason it works is because when, say..you push the left grip outward, weight is transferred to the right side, thus causing the bike to lean that way. Who know? I doubt that's the reason, or at least, the whole reason...but it works, and that's all that matters.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

I can't explain it but it works.I learned the same thing.Dodging manholes,potholes,and roadkill has never been easier!I think the best wayI canexplain it is to push DOWN and not FORWARD.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple physics -- when you push, for example, the left grip, the wheel turns slightly to the right, so the bike leans to the left. Once in a left lean, the bike continues to turn left until it is brought upright.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

ORIGINAL: freekdawg1200

I can't explain it but it works.I learned the same thing.Dodging manholes,potholes,and roadkill has never been easier!I think the best wayI canexplain it is to push DOWN and not FORWARD.
Funny thing is, pushing 'DOWN' seems to work, as well as pushing 'FORWARD'...either one works. It's strange, but I think after riding for a little while, you get a feel for the machine and how things like this works and it just comes natural to you.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior

So what happens if you "pull" on the left grip?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
jumpmasterjay
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 40 Posts

Good question. That has puzzeled many before. It has to do with gyroscopic effect of the tires (what keeps you upright).

When you "press" (slow, look, press, roll), you push down or forward (forward works better) on the grip in the direction you want to go (say left). The front wheel turns (right) into the direction and the bike leans in the opposite direction (left) because it is trying to right itself (to keep you upright).

Always remember, bikes want to (a) sit in the garage or (b) go straight and fast. You have the most problems starting or stopping or turning esp at slow speeds. We call these transitions ...like an airplane wants to fly or to sit, but hates landing and taking off (transitions). Check out www.ridelikeapro.com for more.

If you want, when going straight at like 60 mph, let go, "pop" the left or right grip. The front wheel will shutter back and forth for about 5 seconds, and will finally settle down, straight and true. Never will your bike want to take off in any other direction because gyroscopic force keeps you up and straight.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

What...you got something against pushin' on the right...? <g>

Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

ORIGINAL: Greybeardrider

So what happens if you "pull" on the left grip?
The same thing that'd happen if you 'pushed' on the right grip.. [:-]

Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to explain this to many a student during my time as an instructor. It is a gyroscopic affect. Same principle as when you use a wheelbarrow; You use the left bar of a wheelbarrow to go left, and the right bar to go right. I'm sure a mathematician could give you the scientific explanation...I just know the practical one. Sorry I can't explain it any better than that, but you're not alone. It confuses a lot of people.I just know it works.

Quick Reply: HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!