General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 07:19 PM
hbski
Tourer
Default RE: HELP! Driving School Lesson... please explain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...cycle_dynamics

Old 05-17-2007 | 08:00 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

understanding how it works, and knowing that it works are two different things. Some folks may be more interested in how it works, and there is some great stuff posted here (thanks to all who have contributed).

For those that support the - don't overthink your ride, you have been doing it all along - theory... I propose it is important to know it works and be comfortable that it works. It isn't necessary to constantly think about it while riding, but being fully aware of what it is could save your life.... think about that turn that became sharper than you thought. Our natural instinct is to brake, which would zap us. Knowing what counter-steering is, and that it works, and having it in the forefront of our thoughts when we are doing it, could save your bacon.
Being fully conscience of the fact that you are counter-steering, as you are doing it, will help you push harder into a turn when you need to.
Counter-steering only really means something to us, as riders, in that very moment. If it wasn't important to embrace the concept, they wouldn't even bring it up during the class - it raises confusion based conversations like this all the time. If it didn't matter, because we were doing it anyway without realizing it, they wouldn't bother wasting the time trying to reveal the concept to us dunderheads.

I rode for years unaware. Post MSF class, I enjoy the twisties that much more knowing what I am doing, and pushing the bike farther than I would have when I didn't know. When I come to a turn a little hot, I just push a little harder and there I go, on to the next turn.

Old 05-17-2007 | 08:11 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

The reason there is so much emphasis on counter steering is only partly about teaching you to go around corners, (that's the easy part). It's to teach you to get out of a dangerous situation quickly: cars pulling in front of you, potholes, etc. When you learn to do it well and its second nature, it will save your life[/b]..........learn it

Old 05-17-2007 | 08:15 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Sam

The reason there is so much emphasis on counter steering is only partly about teaching you to go around corners, (that's the easy part). It's to teach you to get out of a dangerous situation quickly: cars pulling in front of you, potholes, etc. When you learn to do it well and its second nature, it will save your life[/b]..........learn it
i agree - I forgot about those other reasons. Again, natural reaction to something in the road is to use leaning rather than pushing (just like we want to brake in a turn), and the damn bike just aint gonna move around stuff when you do it that way.
knowledge and trust in counter-steering will save your bacon here as well.

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:26 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

Excellent link and there is a ton of stuff to brush up on in there for me (mechanical engineer but have been out of school for 11-12 years). I haven't read the entire thing yet, so I'm not vouching for everything in there, but it's *probably* all accurate (always got be suspicious on the ol' inter-web thing).

Below isa quote from the article about the only point I was trying to make. BTW, I certainly didn't mean to beat a dead horse and hope we didn't hijack the thread here, but the discussion was friendly and I felt like I wasn't being clear soI kept after it.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Countersteering
In order to initiate a turn, a bike must momentarily steer in the opposite direction. This is often referred to as countersteering. This brief turn moves the wheels out from directly underneath the center of mass, and thus causes a lean in the desired direction. Where there is no external influence such as an opportune side wind to create the force necessary to lean the bike, countersteering happens in every turn.[11]
As the lean approaches the desired angle, the front wheel must be steered in the direction of the turn, depending on the forward speed, the turn radius, and the need to maintain the lean angle. Once in a turn, the radius can only be changed with an appropriate change in lean angle, and this can only be accomplished by additional countersteering out of the turn to increase lean and decrease radius, then into the turn to decrease lean and increase radius. To exit the turn, the bike must again countersteer and momentarily steer more into the turn to decrease the radius to increase inertial forces in order decrease the angle of lean.[17]

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:36 AM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

Not as noticable on a big HD......but in roadracing it is the norm. I learned the techniqueat roadrace school.

The "push" along with knee pressedinto the tank will instantly flick your bike in any direction, ever wonder how roadracers are ableto lean over in those "S" curves side to sideso fast.