General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf? dyno drags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: wtf? dyno drags?

A motorcycle weighs the same amount whether on a dyno or on a track. Friction of the tire simply spins the wheel it rests on rather than propelling the bike forward. As a previous poster stated, I guess this will never be settled until someone posts that has taken their bike to the track and also done the dyno drag with the same bike.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm sure that they could get a number/time that would be semi close but the track isn't as perfect as the dyno. weather conditions, altitude, track conditions, bikes suspension/launch. all these factors make a big difference in times. a 9 sec dyno drag run is not a 9 sec run at your local track. i'm gonna get flamed for this but, its almost like an adult video game. you know what one i'm talking about, the one where you sit on the bike and lean it over from side to side to go around the track on the screen. meaning no disrespect to anyone who does this, i'm sure that it's a good time as all you above have stated but ,thats what it reminds me of. flame away.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let it go Louie.

Is it perfect? No.

Is it for everyone? No.

So what.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so much for the HD's but I have seen high hp bikes thatthe tires wiil slip on the drum.I saw a Hayabusa that has around 275 hp only pull 147 hp on a Teresi dyno truck because of that.Bike runs consistantly in the 8's on the track, but not on an 880 pound drum.I think they're kind of cool, I'd never do it, especially after actually going down a 1/4 mile track.Just sitting there would'nt do it for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11733/C8252E6F1902436AA68477E58DC8F9AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
PsycleFreak
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to see one in person to really dig it!! I think its pretty kewl to watch. Its funny watching the guys that dont know what their doing go through the gears!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fred00

ORIGINAL: Hammer02
I think the Teresi dyno drags reputation speak for itself....you can bet your bike will run pretty close to what it says on the dyno....they have an excellent reputation that doesn't need to be defended.

If someone claims to have a 9 second bike then just like the track...put up or shut up...just on the dyno. People who lie about their times are similar no different in my mind than people who have to tear everything down on the internet to show how much they know or what kind of an expert they are.

They're both full of it.
How does the dyno drag compensate for the weight of the bike? Reason I'm asking is I've seen many heavy weight cruisers going way faster than is possible on a real track.
According to thedrag dyno operator, hekeys in differentweight/air drag factors for different types of bikes. He also statedto me that actual 1/4 mile ETs are usually a little better then what hisdyno drags indicate. It's just another game to play with bikes, some like the game some don't. It's like comparingother types of racing,many road racers don't understand the drag racers andvice versa.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dyno drags are portable and great for events that don't have a drag strip. They're also up close and personal. I like them, they're fun. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: L0W R1D3R

A motorcycle weighs the same amount whether on a dyno or on a track. Friction of the tire simply spins the wheel it rests on rather than propelling the bike forward. As a previous poster stated, I guess this will never be settled until someone posts that has taken their bike to the track and also done the dyno drag with the same bike.
In the real world you're accelerating the mass of the bike, hence a 400 lbs bike will accelerate quicker than an 800 lbs bike (given the same hp). On the dyno drags however you don't actually have to move the weight of the bike forward, you only have to spin the drum. If nothing is done to correct the weight difference, both bikes will feel the same drum resistance.

ORIGINAL: geargrinder
According to thedrag dyno operator, hekeys in differentweight/air drag factors for different types of bikes. He also statedto me that actual 1/4 mile ETs are usually a little better then what hisdyno drags indicate. It's just another game to play with bikes, some like the game some don't. It's like comparingother types of racing,many road racers don't understand the drag racers andvice versa.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend thatis a mechaincfor Doc's HD in the St. Louis area. He also buids race motors and travels around a races on the dynos.In fact, he was one of the guys that was racing and was interviewed on that show for V-Twin magazine.
I think they are cool because thay are portable and can be set up at many events. Looks like great fun to me.
Phil

Old 05-19-2007, 03:24 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You obviously don't get it! It's all about who gets there first.

Quick Reply: wtf? dyno drags?