General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a alarm system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 PM
ScottCNY
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a alarm system?

My new FXDL did not come with a factory alarm system. The more I look into this it looks like I may want to have one. Whats the best way to go for a aftermarket alarm system and do most of you use a alarm system on your bikes? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a alarm system?

It's a funny thing -- it's impossible to argue against security. And yet, I have a hard time recommending bike alarms as cost effective....

What you have right out of the dealer is a fork lock. Call it DEFCON-1. It defeats 90% of the idiots. You don't want an idiot stealing your bike, so it's worthwhile. You can up the ante with disc locks and so on. As you add disc lock and big MF chain to stop amateur carry-away attempts, you've screened out a large portion of it idiot bad guys and the guy who steals your bike is going to be a higher class theif. You can feel proud.

I have the Harley aftermarket security module and the Siren II and the pager that goes with it. The security module includes an RFID tag that acts as a key fob. There will be an antenna under your seat that will query the RFID tag each time you switch on your ignition. If the fob isn't there, the bike won't start and may or may not make a fuss about the situation. Let's call it DEFCON 2. Your insurance company will consider it an "immobilizer" and arguably it's a good thing. Tearing the module out won't help because your ECU knows it was there and won't start without the module giving its OK. This is cool at preventing hot-wire drive-away theft, but I'm not convinced that's a big portion of the bike theif demographic.

The Siren II adds a noise maker to the mix. It has a battery built into it so it can make noise even if the battery is disconnected or the maxi-fuse pulled. In fact, pulling the maxi-fuse when the system is armed is considered an alarm event. (Note that you're going to want to pull the maxi-fuse sometimes when you work on the bike. Note also that when you're bent over to pull the fuse, your ear is going to be right next to the siren when it goes off.) The alarm will also sound if someone pulls the bike upright off its kickstand. However, it won't go off if someone sits on your bike. I assume that if someone gets your key and tries to turn on the ignition without the fob present, it would go of then too. I don't actually know, and I can't come up with a lot of scenarios where that's a big value. Frankly, I considerthe sirento be mostly frosting. The biggest value it adds is the chirp noises when you turn off the ignition which warns those around you that there's an alarm on the bike.

The pager will beep or buzz (or beep AND buzz) every time the siren chirps or screams. It will tell you when someone out in the parking lot has pulled your bike off its stand. You might get there in time to see the truck drive away, I guess. It won't tell you if some moron sits on your bike, because that doesn't trigger the alarm.

What I'm saying is that I bought these things without thinking it through. The immobilizer might be a good deal. There migth be a scenario whereyoung juniortakes your spare Harley key that you keep hanging by the door and tries to start your bike. Since he won't have the fob, it won't start.

I'm not at all sure the siren was a good expenditure. And if the siren wasn't then the pager isn't either. I'm not saying they don't work exactly as described, I'm just saying that I'm not sure what they do has any value in real terms.

Frankly, I'd say the best drive-away/carry-away preventative is still the big MF chain looped around an immoveable object.

Just my opinion. My experience with all the cool Harley security stuff is limited to a single 2007 Super Glide.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the MK1 Pager Alarm and I have set the alarm sensitivity to the maximum so if you sit on the bike it will set the pager off. If you slide very slowly onto the seat it might not go off but as soon as you slightly move the bike off it goes, however with the maximum range of around 400 yards its a long way to run when 4 heavies are lifting it onto the back of a van. If they want it bad enough they will have just make sure your insurance is good. Not sure how USA HD Insurance works but in the UK the HD Insurance gives you a form to take to your dealer who agrees a value for the bike and the value of your accessories so if its taken there is no hassle with figures. I have gap insurance which guarantees a brand new replacement anyway.

One other thing though all European Harleys to the UK come with the factory fitted alarm and siren as standard plus the Headlights cannot be turned off when the bike is running !

Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The HD alarm willNOT prevent someone from walking away with your saddle bags, seat or windshield. I remove all mine and wash the bike with the alarm set with not even a chirp. As mentioned above, you have to stand the bike up, or otherwise severely disturb the bike to get the alarm to respond. The 07 HD alarm, doesNOT have sensitivity settings, so you have the one setting from the factory. The pager is kind of nice when you are at a restaurant or hotel, to catch an idiot messing with the bike, or watch the truck drive away with your bike.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the H-D alarm and siren on my '05 1200 Sportster. Mine has 4 sensitivity settings (I didn't know they'd changed this for '07) and I keep it on the most sensitive. I also have a locking gas cap. My initial intent was to keep any of my fine students from fooling with the bike or adding a surprise for me in the gas tank. I also feel free to park it in movie theater parking lots, hotel parking lots when I'm traveling, shopping centers, etc. I'm sure if soneone really wanted to steal it, they would, but so far, I've never had an issue with anyone tampering with the bike or it's contents, although the blinking light in the speedometer may have more to do with that than anything. Easier to move on to another bike without a blinking alarm.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You go with lo jack they call about an hour after the bike was stolen. I have LO-JACK on my car it is funny after driving to work sitting in the office sometime later I get a call from LO-JACK some is drive your car.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ScottCNY

My new FXDL did not come with a factory alarm system. The more I look into this it looks like I may want to have one. Whats the best way to go for a aftermarket alarm system and do most of you use a alarm system on your bikes? Thanks!
I have the HD alarm system with siren and pager. I also had lojack installed on my bike. With lojack's newest product, if my bike is moved without me, my cell phone will ring. It also has the tracking. I no longer worry about my bike being stolen. Doesn't mean it can't be stolen, just means I no longer worry about it. Along with being vigilant I've done everything I can do to increase my odds. I think it is money well spent.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Brake locks are a big waste of money. All you have to do is take the bolts out of the disk, and the bike will roll away. One minute max. Alarms at least will make you aware that someone is messing with your ride, and give you some time to load up the gun.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:57 PM
thmac
Intermediate

my bike came with the hd factory alarm. i never use it ,i think its a pain. but i do have a great insurance policy that will replace 100 %. yes i paid extra but worth it to me.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
lawsonsr
Intermediate

I have the security system and siren on my street bob. I am please with it. Having worked in the field for thirty years,I know that the thief will take the path of least resistance. I just had a friend lose their 06 road king..My insurance company gave me a discount for having ther system installed. It is worth the money, to me, for the little extera pease of mind.

Quick Reply: Should I get a alarm system?