General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a alarm system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
FBOMB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a alarm system?

I live in southern CA so yes I do have an alarm. Two of my friends had their bikes stolen, onehad a lock around the wheel(sport bike) and the other locked his steering. It didn't matter, it got stolen. Now my friends have alarms on their bikes and dont even question if it's worth it. I recommend an alarm.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I bought my bike used and it came with the alarm and siren. I love it, if I run into the store quick or at work I just set it and not have to worry. No need for a key but I do lock it up at night and cover it. Its worth it to not be thinking and worrying about your bike. I would like a pager but I live in Boise, relatively crime free.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Scorpio Two Way Pager system thing on my bike. Its all good and high tech except the Pager thing takes a AAA battery and it goes dead every 2 or 3 weeks and when it is dead, Im screwed if I dont have a battery on hand. Now I just want a basic alarm.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Drich57
Cruiser

If someone really wants your bike, they're gonna take it - that's it. The only thing you can do is try to make it annoying/aggravating enough for them to give up and move on, looking for easier pickings. The fork lock - as was mentioned in another post - takes care of most of the pinheads looking for a quick joyride or whatever. The alarm will take care of even more. Unfortunately the professional thief will have it in his truck and miles away no matter what you do, even with a floor mounted chain ring.

I got the factory alarm and it's fine - I installed it myself. It's a good balance between safety and convenience, but I don't ever kid myself it's perfect.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

I HATE ALARMS! its gotten to the point that now, they are usually ignored bu th epublic, & unless you are in ear shot it doesnt matter (the pager ones are kinda cool) Ill stick w. the fork lock & ignition lock on my springer, if it gets stolen, I have gap insurance lol