General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone make the single strap "novelty" helmets anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 05:12 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
I live in SC. No helmet required but I work in NC. Helmet required. I wear a novelty helmet in NC. When at home I do not wear a helmet. I have been looking for a dot helmet for a yr now. If I could find one that did not make me look like a fool. I would wear it. No luck so far. I am tall but skinny. I look like a giant mushroom with a helmet on. You have any ideas for one that would not make me look like a fool? Thanks.

Akoury AK-88, Nicest (close to beanie) DOT helmet I've seen (and have). It's no beanie, but closest I've found. That's my thoughts coming from wearing a beanie exclusively for over 10 yrs. until I got popped for a ticket. Do a search in the forums and you'll see threads about it, with pictures.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 03-31-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2016 | 07:49 PM
az_steve
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Got a Prussian cavalry spike helmet. Pre-WW1 and made of molded horsehide. Thing is a chick magnet. They all want their picture taken wearing it.

Youngest daughter vogueing
That is a cool looking helmet.

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016 | 08:07 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

[QUOTE=scottylonebull;14993046]I beg to differ, nothing is cooler than my Kieth Haring style beanie cap...

Nothing wrong with them. They are just very hard to find and for a good reason.

Old 03-30-2016 | 11:16 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
after 25 yrs of wearing the beanie, being cool and swearing i'd never wear anything else, I started wearing a biltwell 3/4 helmet this winter. now I have 12 lol, very comfortable and warm, I really like them now. that being said, I still have the beanie and will wear it in the summer just switch out once in a while, I still like the look of it. my older beanie helmets have stickers on them and are classic, so I just wanted to find one I can keep plain black. no science to it, & not really for any other reason. lol
Oh I meant a real beanie. What is a beanie helmet?

Old 03-31-2016 | 12:48 AM
scottylonebull
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dane M
Oh I meant a real beanie. What is a beanie helmet?
ive always considered these beanie helmets...

Last edited by scottylonebull; 05-02-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2016 | 03:30 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Without sounding too OCD, this is the closest I could find on the net- still has a bend to the skid lid.
http://www.beaniebuckets.com/

Old 03-31-2016 | 09:09 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Got a Prussian cavalry spike helmet. Pre-WW1 and made of molded horsehide. Thing is a chick magnet. They all want their picture taken wearing it.

Youngest daughter vogueing
very neat helmet ! and your daughter looks like you alot.

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016 | 09:36 AM
scottylonebull
|
Road Master

sucks there aren't many "swap meets" or bike shows around here, except indian larry's blockparty in sept. mostly just small club parties, or small neighborhood park your bike and walk around stuff. no vendors or stuff to buy. everything is on the west coast.

Old 03-31-2016 | 11:11 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

What's this? Somebody shook the novelty helmet squirrel tree and all the "I know what's best for everyone helmet-wise" squirrels fell out.
Some like to wear novelty helmets....myself included....and I don't much GIF what anyone else thinks or does.

The following 2 users liked this post by Leftcoaster:
jakenok (05-02-2016), kiwiharleydavidson (05-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016 | 05:59 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
What's this? Somebody shook the novelty helmet squirrel tree and all the "I know what's best for everyone helmet-wise" squirrels fell out.
Some like to wear novelty helmets....myself included....and I don't much GIF what anyone else thinks or does.
I think you need to re-read the thread dude. There was only this one negative post:

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
No respectable motorcycle gear store will sell that garbage your are looking for.

It is Probably illegal and they don't do it to ruin their reputation and liability.

You just have to go to one of those shady pop up tent stores, like you said, at a rally to find them. You know the ones that don't pay their taxes and deal under the table.

You might as well just put on a bicycle helmet. They look even cooler than those skid lids
Unless I missed something, just paged through it all again to check.

Quick Reply: does anyone make the single strap "novelty" helmets anymore?