General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone make the single strap "novelty" helmets anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016 | 02:20 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Sierra977
To keep from sunburning my savagely handsome noggin.
I use a handkerchief for that if I decide to go sans hamlet.

Old 03-29-2016 | 08:00 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
I use a handkerchief for that if I decide to go sans hamlet.
That would be preferable IF I COULD KEEP A DO-RAG ON MY HEAD. I personally keep a small industry hard at work making bandanas to replace the ones I've lost on the road. Regular size, extra-large, triangles, you name it and I've lost it. Those ready-made wraps too. None of them stay on my head. Right now there are three bandanas in the saddlebags ready to be sacrificed to the highway gods.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (06-07-2018)
Old 03-29-2016 | 08:17 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
While I'm personally not looking for one, I wanted to say that I think it is REALLY cool that you are not only willing to do this, but have put it out there and offered it up. I think that is SOLID!!!

If you need anything from State side, while your over there...PM me...if I can make it happen, I will.
Thanks, brotha! I appreciate the compliment and the offer. I will definitely keep that in mind.

For anyone who's interested, HERE'S a sample of some the offerings in Japan. Looks like a lot of them are offered in both the double and single strap style...

On another note, they have some really cool full-face styles in Japan, as well. I recently found and bought this.

Fits well and doesn't have the Power Ranger look of most full-face helmets. Didn't cost an arm and a leg, either, unlike similar styled helmets (Simpson). My son says it looks like the Kylo Ren mask; IOW, BADASS! Heh! Mission accomplished!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-07-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2016 | 09:26 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
My question is; why a single strap that puts a flag out for LE to cite you?
My motor helmet had a single strap.

Old 03-29-2016 | 09:47 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

That would be preferable IF I COULD KEEP A DO-RAG ON MY HEAD. I personally keep a small industry hard at work making bandanas to replace the ones I've lost on the road. Regular size, extra-large, triangles, you name it and I've lost it. Those ready-made wraps too. None of them stay on my head. Right now there are three bandanas in the saddlebags ready to be sacrificed to the highway gods.

Old 03-29-2016 | 10:27 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Ok. Anyone that has seen my posts knows I am very pro helmet, and pro full face helmet. But I have a genuine honest question with no secret agendas, so please don't read into it more than it is, I'm simply curious.

Why would you want a novelty helmet, why wouldn't you just wear a beanie or something?

EDIT: ah, already asked, nevermind

Old 03-29-2016 | 10:58 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

I remember when those helmets first hit Cal in the early 90s, right when the helmet law took effect. They came from a company up north.... Washington or Oregon, E&R Fiberglass. They were shipping them so fast, when the dealers unpacked them they were still soft... the fiberglass hadn't cured yet. And they had a STRONG chemical smell lol.

They couldn't get them in fast enough, sold out in seconds. I still have both of mine 25 years later, don't wear them tho.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-29-2016 | 11:04 PM
Dane M
Road Master

I want to change to a different question.

Why would you opt to wear a novelty helmet when the real half helmets can look so similar, and cost so little money. If you're already wearing a helmet, why not make it a real one if it's cheap? Is it about the thickness of the shell being uncomfortable or something?

Old 03-29-2016 | 11:43 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I've lost more than my fair share of bandanas that way.

Old 03-30-2016 | 08:33 AM
scottylonebull
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Thanks, brotha! I appreciate the compliment and the offer. I will definitely keep that in mind.

For anyone who's interested, HERE'S a sample of some the offerings in Japan. Looks like a lot of them are offered in both the double and single strap style...
thanks for the info,
but all the novelty helmets have a weird curved shape to them, none of them are just flat on the bottom lol
all I want is a flat simple single strap skid lid lol

Originally Posted by Dane M
Ok. Anyone that has seen my posts knows I am very pro helmet, and pro full face helmet. But I have a genuine honest question with no secret agendas, so please don't read into it more than it is, I'm simply curious.

Why would you want a novelty helmet, why wouldn't you just wear a beanie or something?

EDIT: ah, already asked, nevermind
the beanie helmets are considered novelty helmets no?
beanie, skid lid, brain bucket, skull cap ect...all the same category I think...

Originally Posted by Dane M
I want to change to a different question.

Why would you opt to wear a novelty helmet when the real half helmets can look so similar, and cost so little money. If you're already wearing a helmet, why not make it a real one if it's cheap? Is it about the thickness of the shell being uncomfortable or something?
after 25 yrs of wearing the beanie, being cool and swearing i'd never wear anything else, I started wearing a biltwell 3/4 helmet this winter. now I have 12 lol, very comfortable and warm, I really like them now. that being said, I still have the beanie and will wear it in the summer just switch out once in a while, I still like the look of it. my older beanie helmets have stickers on them and are classic, so I just wanted to find one I can keep plain black. no science to it, & not really for any other reason. lol

Attached Thumbnails does anyone make the single strap "novelty" helmets anymore?-daytona-ez-rider-.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-07-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: does anyone make the single strap "novelty" helmets anymore?