Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 PM
texas tom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

You can not buy gas in texas metro areas that does not have E10 in it period,it is mandated by law,I have no choice in the matter ,that is why I asked where can you buy gas without it..I still dont know where you are at...

Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: x2lee
I use shell optimax
Oh btw Grunt Check your harley davidson manual under fuel blends
the part that says...
DO NOT USE GASOLINE THAT CONTAINS METHANOL, DOING SO MAY RESULT IN FUEL SYSTEM COMPONANT FAILURE, ENGINE DAMAGE AND OR EQUIPMENT MALFUCTION.
ORIGINAL: texas tom
You buy gas without e10 where?
Check your pumps. METHANOL is NOT used in E10 (that would be M10, and it is not made). E10 is perfectly safe, no matter how many others you ignore.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting thread... What do Shell and Exxon use if they don't use a 10% mix of ethanol? Is there a subsitute they use?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Around my area 10% is the norm. Won't hurt the newer technology much. Ethanol won't corrode metals. It has a habbit of saturating with water and could dump it. That's what corrodes metal, the water. Down side to it is it will make the engine run lean. More needs to be burned to get the same power. Remap or rejet at anything over 10%. Most modern hoses are compatible to ethanol since most new products are built for it's use. I would prefer to not use it but can't do much about it anymore. Methanol is made from wood, and it sucks the big one as far as corrosion. Fortunately you won't see it in gas anymore.
Ron

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read in the manual that you can use e10 in your bike, I just dug up those articles online
to show that the stuff was bad from another thread. I learned the stuff was bad from flying
aircraft years ago. there was another thread called gas recommendations in the sportster section
that i was responding to, I just pasted the responce to here because i thought i was being helpful.
I use shell gold, theres no meth /eth in it. I dont burn the stuff because there are rubber seals in the carbs...
Anyway, no offence meant and none taken. Ill keep burning the good stuff tho.
(i can afford to waste a few bucks)
ORIGINAL: WideGuy

x2lee, I am not flaming or making fun of ya but, you gotta look at your sources a little more carefully. www.aaca.com is the Antique Automobile Club of America. A blog is only someones opinion - read the responses to his post. www.gglotus.org is a report from 1987! I remember when ethanol blends came out. There were issues with fuel systems in the 80s. E10 is not going to hurt your bike.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Drtbag
Tourer

IMHO. 10% mixed won't bother anything. BUT! Ethanol and Gasoline will seperate!!
Be sure and buy Gas from a station that sells lots of it.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ethanol bikes are suppose to hit the states sometime in August.85% ethanol,15% gas.Of course these wont be American machines.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Boy, all the corn growers and environmentalists wacko's will be rich and all the poor corntortilla eaters will now have high price tortillas, since most of the corn will now be used for fuel and the price gouging will begin. I'm glad I like flour tortillas. Whatthese tree hugging idiotsnever tell you is how much fossil fuel is used to harvest and transportthe corn and make the ethanol, nothing but total B.S. from the left coast.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Drtbag
Tourer

[sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
jakedog
Road Warrior

FYI. I think everyone at INDY is running pure ethanol in this years race... Beginning in 2007, the fuel will be 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol in IndyCar Series cars, the same fuel that has the potential to replace at least 10 percent of the nation's gasoline supply........

Quick Reply: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike