Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

you keep saying vehicles you mean modern sophisticated autos or old 2 cylinder vtwins
I think you should check with a harley mech before you make up your mind.

oh wait its already made up...

ORIGINAL: grunt
10% does nothing to vehicles. It has been around for decades, and cars on it have passed 200k miles (my parents have used it all the time). E85 requires engine mods, but once engineered for it the motors are fine. There are guys that modified their Hendersons to run on it and they have no problems. Mileage goes down about 15-20%, but you get more power from ethanol (it has higher octance than gas).

Fear is a terrible motivator. Facts are every vehicle on the road can be modified to run E85 with no worries. But they DO have to be modified BEFORE any attempt is made to do so. That is why mfgrs are specifying whether they can run E85.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
x2lee
Banned

are you saying that the rubber need replaced right here? Why does harley still use rubber gaskets when they know ethanol eatsrubber? Maybe its the same reason they make lightbulbs that burn out in 6 months when thomas edison built one that burned 80+ years in the smithstonian inst. before they "turned it off"

"Fear is a terrible motivator. Facts are every vehicle on the road can be modified to run E85 with no worries. But they DO have to be modified BEFORE any attempt is made to do so. That is why mfgrs are specifying whether they can run E85".

Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: x2lee
you keep saying vehicles you mean modern sophisticated autos or old 2 cylinder vtwins
I think you should check with a harley mech before you make up your mind.

oh wait its already made up...
10% does nothing to vehicles. It has been around for decades, and cars on it have passed 200k miles (my parents have used it all the time). E85 requires engine mods, but once engineered for it the motors are fine. There are guys that modified their Hendersons to run on it and they have no problems. Mileage goes down about 15-20%, but you get more power from ethanol (it has higher octance than gas).

Fear is a terrible motivator. Facts are every vehicle on the road can be modified to run E85 with no worries. But they DO have to be modified BEFORE any attempt is made to do so. That is why mfgrs are specifying whether they can run E85.
E10 has been around since the 70s. Nothing modern about that. And the FACT that an unmodified 77 Impala ran it for almost 300k miles with NO engine problems speaks volumes. In fact, were it not for the frame breaking and me convincing the parents it could not be repaired, would probably be still going. E10 does no damage. None. Zero. Zip.

And any mechanic to say otherwise would not be one I would ever allow to even clean my bikes. Even the 'ominous' articles listed say the same thing in their own words. And AFA as solidified beliefs, yours are far more concrete. So run your godsend gas and sleep soundly that the nasty Ethanol monster will never attack you.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM
x2lee
Banned

Thanks.

. So run your godsend gas and sleep soundly that the nasty Ethanol monster will never attack you.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:53 AM
texas tom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You buy gas without e10 where?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
x2lee
Banned

I use shell optimax
Oh btw Grunt Check your harley davidson manual under fuel blends
the part that says...
DO NOT USE GASOLINE THAT CONTAINS METHANOL, DOING SO MAY RESULT IN FUEL SYSTEM COMPONANT FAILURE, ENGINE DAMAGE AND OR EQUIPMENT MALFUCTION.

ORIGINAL: texas tom

You buy gas without e10 where?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

This sounds like the same old arguements everyone had when unleaded first came out .

Then it was E10 or " gasahol " as it was called around here ( time frame around 25 yrs ago ) .

E10 has been run in everything I own in the last 25 yrs or so with no problems .

I'm thinking parts of the country is seeing E10 for the first time in there area .
This is because MTBE is being replaced with alcoholand alcohol is alsoused tostretch our fuel supply .
MTBEwas a chemical added to increase octane and also reduce pollution .
Unleaded needed an octane boost . ( replacing lead as the octane boostin leaded gas )
Lead was bad news and would get in your bloodstream , also it wont work with catalitic convertors.
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]Methanol and Ethanol are two different types of alcohol with the methanol being the one the OEM's warn about not using . I have yet to see gas stating it has methanol in it .

Exon/Mobil has been using or as the sticker says ( may contain up to 10% alcohal ) for a few years now around here .

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was being somewhat sarcastic here. I am aware of the issues surrounding the use of E85 in vehicles not specifically equipped to run it. I am also aware that E10 has been around for some time, IS FINE for use in Harley engines.

It was just a little overboard to throw out the scare tactic that ANY blended fuel WILL kill your engine post. Oh my God, if you use this you will die!!! What do we call people who post stuff just to get rise out of people? Trolls?

Anyway, E10 is fine for Harley engines.

I guess why I saw this as silly was because these gas blends have been around for years and the initial post made it seem like this was new news and the poster was saving us from our own ignorance.

ORIGINAL: bensonjv
Everything I read on the Interent is true. There is no stupidity on the Internet. If someone says it, or better yet posts it on Wiki, its true.
I'm going to drain my tanks right now. Only Shell or Exxon from now on. Got it.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
x2lee
Banned

Yeah thats It amn I am a troll. Or,,,
I was tring to help people. OR,,,
I was just trying to **** you off.
I dont know, your call I guess. I thinks it bad for your engine and I didnt say any blended gas
I said methanol, and ethanol is the basic same thing.
I hope folks were not scared too badly...
(Now I am being somewhat sarcastic in case you cant recognize sarcasm either).

I was being somewhat sarcastic here.

It was just a little overboard to throw out the scare tactic that ANY blended fuel WILL kill your engine post. Oh my God, if you use this you will die!!! What do we call people who post stuff just to get rise out of people? Trolls?

Anyway, E10 is fine for Harley engines.

Everything I read on the Interent is true. There is no stupidity on the Internet. If someone says it, or better yet posts it on Wiki, its true.
I'm going to drain my tanks right now. Only Shell or Exxon from now on. Got it.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
WideGuy
Advanced

x2lee, I am not flaming or making fun of ya but, you gotta look at your sources a little more carefully. www.aaca.com is the Antique Automobile Club of America. A blog is only someones opinion - read the responses to his post. www.gglotus.org is a report from 1987! I remember when ethanol blends came out. There were issues with fuel systems in the 80s. E10 is not going to hurt your bike.

Quick Reply: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike