General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
himynameismichelle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets!

Where are the best places to get helmets? At the nearest Harley store here they don't really have that many. And which style do you guys think is best? Thankssssss.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Helmets!

This is more a personal choice. It all dependson how much your head is worth to you. Doyou want full face or half. The questions go on and on and on...

Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
himynameismichelle
Advanced

I understand that, so maybe not so much of style, but where?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Google Competition Accessories. Their prices are pretty competitive and they carry a good line of gear. I would not order a helmet thru the mail until I had gone to a bike shop and tried on the helmet that I was interested in to make sure of fit. When it comes to things like helmets, jackets, gloves, etc. I will shop alot of the metric dealers to find what I like and then either decide whether it's worth it to me to just go ahead and buy it there or order it thru a catalog.

You can develop a good inventory of catalogs if you look at the ads in the back of motorcycle magazines and order the free catalogs that are offered.

When it comes to helmets there are alot of choices, as you know. Perhaps two of the most respected brands are Shoei and Arai.

I have two helmets. One is a full face Nolan. I like it because the chin bar and face shield both "flip up". For extreme temps here in the summer time I wear a Snoei 1/2 helmet for my riding around town. On trips and the rest of the year I wear the Nolan.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

Do a search Blue Rose Ithink ???? did a good post on buying one on the NET
I think and thats scary

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of Harley stores don't have much other than the ones the MoCo makes them buy. At least that's among the excuses I hear. Michelle, I know you're around here but where? Let me know, i'll refer you to someone who actually carries stuff.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
brocken
Cruiser

If you know the exact model and size you want there are tons of good online stores to buy from.
But(and it's a large one), if you don't know which helmet then it's best to find a local cycle shop(can be non harley) to try on a bunch of different helmets.
They come in all shapes and you'll want to find the right one.
Some are round heads, some are oval, some are eggs.
What area are you in? I know here in Seattle we have lots of large MC dealers. Usually the larger stores have a lot of helmets to choose from.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
himynameismichelle
Advanced

I'm in the northern suburbs of Chicago.

Actually in my profile it says exactly where

Old 05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelle,

If you want a fullface NielsenEnt.(Lake Villa) carries a good selection of Arai/Nolan and some others I think HJC and KBC. They are not the cheapestbut you'll find your size.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Neilson's is ok,I also like Uke's in Kenosha (the Uke's "Dirt Store") across the parking lot from Uke's HD.Some really nice HJC helmets there.HJC offers a great helmet for the money,I have an HJC CL35 fullface $115 and an ACC Carbon Fiber extended half helmet $170.I'll probably add a Nolan 3/4 Helmet as well.

I advise not spendingbig dollars on any single helmet especially not before you findout more about your preferencesthrough experience.I prefer variety so I can select the best helmet for the weather etc...

Quick Reply: Helmets!