General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frogg Toggs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
scratch
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Frogg Toggs

I don't have them but I heard that they "breathe" really nicely. I have a Nelson Rigg jacket and pants that keeps me dry but doesn't breathe at all. Sometimes I end up soaked just from sweating inside it. Plus the jacket zipper is ripping away from the seam after about 2-3 years of relatively frequent use--they ought last longer IMHO.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 AM
IU_Booger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set.. over alls and the jacket..

I live in North Louisiana so rain is sometimes daily.. heavy and hot..in the spring so the Toggs work well for me..

If they flap.. I don't know.. i'm dry I know that and light weight riding in a hot rain with high humidity sucks.

When going on a long trips.. I strap my full face on the back and change in to it when I see a storm coming and stay dry.

wind blows up my sleeves.. I normally don't wear gloves so my hands just get wet but that's not a big deal.

I need the boot covers.. I've ridden in some monsoon type rains.. and the only thing that got wet were my boots they are only water proof to a point redwings.. are great.. but they dryed out on the road.

I"ve heard they can melt.. but not happened to me. but I don't wear them other then in the rain on the bike.. so my thinking is the rain will stop the melt. they stay packed on the bike always. I like them.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:38 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the advice gang! So it's a definite maybe that I should possibly consider thinking about getting this gear...maybe? [sm=joke.gif] Seriously, it sounds like good gear for warm weather riding or when space is limited and that's pretty much what I was hoping to learn from this thread.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Frogg Toggs and like them a lot. Best thing going for them is their size "packed up". They do tend to blow up a little but I can live with that 'cause they do keep you dry. And yes, they breathe which is another big plus. Ours are blue so the wife jokes that we look like a couple of giant blueberrys but who cares... we're RIDING!!! If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy them... but I'd probably buy the black ones.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
gunfighter
Advanced

Just spent a week touring Nova Scotia and riding to and from Maine to take the ferry to get there. Had torrential rain going up to Maine on Friday and coming home 10 days later as well as heavy rain on the Cabot Trail and on and off showers in Nova Scotia. Wore the new Frogg Toggs that I bought in June for the first time. Disappointed in their performance: they leaked at the oversize neck opening and the lower leg area because as you use you legs for shifting and braking they tend to ride up over your boot and the zippers open and your feet get wet as does your lower legs. Water coming into the oversized neck eventually wets your t-shirt and if your in the storm long enough it will find its way to your pants and shorts and then you have a wet seat.Great for staying dry if your not riding at 65+mph and they did keep the rest of me dry. Very lightweight and packable and they take up very little room if rolled tight. Can't say I would reccommend them for any type of long distance touring or high speed riding. Goldwingers love them but you must remember that they have very little air flow around the rider area. My 2 cents worth based on my recent battle with the remnants of hurricane Ernesto. Good Luck

Old 09-09-2006, 11:32 AM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

When it's been raining b4 I start out I will put on the HD rain gear. If it's a sudden rain the Frogg toggs. Each one does the job it's designed to do. The issue is how long it takes to put each one on.

A while back, I got caught out in the open in a light rain that seemed to come out of nowhere. By the time I got the HD rain gear on, I was soaked. If I'd had the Frogg Toggs with me, that would not have been the case.

<><Peace

Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

I bouthg a Nelson Rigg siut and rode through 200 miles of rain. I was pretty much bone dry when the rain stopped and I took it off. The suit doesn't pack as small as others, but the coat is vented and I was able to wear it most of the day and feel cool and comfy.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Bassman
Road Master

They are great for being lightweight & compact. I keep a set with my fishing gear. However I wanted something a little heavier when riding. For that I went with Gander Mtn Rain Tech Gear. It is a little heavier than the Frog Toggs but is breathable and packs into itself. On top of that, for packability, I got one of those Space vaccum pack bags, put the gear in that then vaccum sealed it. By doing this, it is no bigger than 10" x 8" x 3" and fits in the bottom of my roll bag.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I have to agree with IU_Booger & gunfighter. They pack up small and light, they DO have a tendancy to burn if you get your pipes on the leg, and, they will leak around the neck if you don't use the hood, and I also usually wear waterproof Cruiserworks boots, so, riding up on my legs is not an issue. However, they breath well, and you won't wind up wet from your own sweat either, and you will stay dry. Gunfighter makes a good point, as I ride a wing. There is very little airflow in the riders seating area, and I've ridden without rain gear in light to moderate rain with no problem, as I do stay mainly dry, however, I've passed bikes without fairings huddled underneath overpasses because of their rain problems and lack of fairings. Lots of good choices out there. Good luck in your choice !

Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

they are made here in guntersville by Kappler so it's kinda obligatory to have a set. LOL. i like them for the compactness even though they do billow. i tried a $10 Walmart set and they lasted about 10 minutes before shredding.

Quick Reply: Frogg Toggs