General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Opinion Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 AM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seat Opinion Needed

So, I've been remodeling an '09 UC. One aspect of the stock setup that I really didn't like is the seat. With the stock seat, I feel like I'm sitting high, and forward. Often described as "sitting on top of the gas tank".

I also have a Street Glide. I took the SG (stock) seat off, and put it on the UC. I am very happy with the positioning (as the rider). I sit down & back. However, my lovely passenger doesn't really care for the small passenger seat of the stock SG seat. And if her lovely backside ain't happy........well, we all know how that story goes.......

I'm shopping for a new seat. The HD Sundowner seat still has that "sitting high" feeling, although back off of the tank. I haven't tried the Tallboy seat.

My question is about the other seat manufacturers. Mustang, Corbin, C&C, La Pera, etc. Any recommendations or ideas about "down & back", one brand vs. another? I'm not that picky about the rider padding, but need to get a passenger seat greater than the 11.5" SG seat.

BTW- I'm 6', so no extreme variations to the fit.

Trying to save some time, plus bored at work. Thought I'd get your opinions.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Find a Mustang Super Tour to sit on. Will move you back like the SG seat but will raise you a little over the SG seat. I'm happy with mine. I do 20-30,000 a year!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Not trying to plug our product, but to explain something: We get asked every day for a seat on a touring bike that moves you down and back and has all-day comfort. My response is we can do any two of those three, but not all three. One of the issues is that if we move you, say, 1.75" back, if we don't move you up a bit you will not have much foam between you and the fender. Additionally, we don't want to force someone to remove the stud plate, so our seats must clear that as well.

99 times out of 100, the customer who wants "down and back" really wants just back or just down. Think about which is more important to you, and let that guide your choice.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Mustang.....

That makes sense. The thing I noticed about my SG seat is that it is not as thickly padded, thus seems "lower". The Sundowner seat seems back far enough, just sitting higher. I did notice that it is more thickly padded. You can put the two side-by-side and see the difference.

Per Red's post, I'm going to try the Mustang Super Tour. Gotta find a demo.

I'm fairly certain that NOT sitting on top of the gas tank is more important to me, so BACK is my preference.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Try a Corbin. That seat will put you down and back. I tried several seats on my RGCVO before the Corbin. All were not suitable for comfort or position. I can now ride for days with a happy ***, wife included.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I sent my seat to Mean City Cycle, told them what I wanted, for both sections, including down and back and had it was returned to me in about 10 days.
For the money, you cannot do better.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
samk9lover
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Mean City Cycle, your best bet to get what you want!

Sam

Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
I sent my seat to Mean City Cycle, told them what I wanted, for both sections, including down and back and had it was returned to me in about 10 days.
For the money, you cannot do better.
Originally Posted by samk9lover@***.net
Mean City Cycle, your best bet to get what you want!

Sam
Ditto just got mine back - Double foam front and rear with 1/2 lower up front. Almost feels like I have a full backrest on with just the seat.

Allen did a great job for me.

Call him and talk with him about what you want, pretty sure he can make it happen, as well as getting better padding. I definitely recommend having the passenger pad done too, my wife can tell the difference - meaning fewer stops.