General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a trailer??? Bring the hate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016 | 09:02 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

I use an Aluma motorcycle trailer. I can roll it around the back yard by myself and it has a full aluminum self contained ramp that makes loading and unloading very easy. It is all aluminum so rust is not an issue, but they are a little expensive if purchased new.

Old 03-23-2016 | 09:06 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 03-23-2016 | 09:37 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
The utility trailer really makes the most sense from a money standpoint.. I just know she likes the idea of the kendon due to being able to roll it up against the wall.. But damn they are high.

Then just buy a Harbor Freight folding utility trailer.

Below is the link to two of them.
For $80 more I'd chose the heavier duty one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...ler-62666.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb...ler-62647.html

Search youtube for "folding utility trailer" and you see many videos of them.

I had one of these years ago and I made some sides using the 2X4 frames mounts that I could remove rather easily and the floor was a 4X8' 1/2" plywood cut in half.
When not used I would simply fold it up and roll it into the corner of the garage.
Just make sure that you put eye bolts in the wall and strap the top of the trailer to the wall just to secure it from falling.

I did replace the rolling casters with heavier ones, the ones that come with it were too cheap and broke the first time I hit a grove in the driveway.
I got almost 20 years of use out of that trailer.

I will say it was a bit of a PITA to fold up, but at the time I only used it maybe 2-3 times a year so it wasn't that big of a deal.
I later replaced the axle with a 1 ton, replaced the floor with 2X6's and put permanent sides on it.

Being military, that trailer helped move my family all across the Country many times and never failed me.
I hated to sell it due to sentimental value but I inherited the red open trailer in my picture when my Dad past away so I just didn't need two open trailers.

I think though value wise the one on craigslist is the better deal, however the HF one will fold up and can be put away.
Once you put the floor and sides on you'll have less than $500 in it.

I did find a picture of my beloved folding trailer after I put a permanent floor and sides on it.
I do miss that trailer and wish I'd hung on to it and gave it to my older Son.
I know that seems kinda silly but there was a lot of memories with that trailer and I'm a sentimental kinda guy.
Of well life must move on.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-23-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2016 | 10:52 AM
azsportpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by threedeuce5
Don't know if you've checked into this or not, but uhaul rents a MC trailer for next to nothing and they're great. This would solve both problems you have.

just rented one here in Fargo, it was $14,95 a day

even has a triangle shaped area at the front to hold the front tire, lots of tiedown cleats, dropdown ramp that is easy to use solo

Old 03-23-2016 | 11:03 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

There are a lot of Kendons to be had used. For the occasional use I had planned for mine, buying new wasn't practical. Had to make a full day trip to get mine, but at 1/2 price and used 1 time, I couldn't pass it up.

The USA trailers are 1/2 price of the Kendons and when comparing side by side, I'd swear they are same manufacture. At least they look identical. Only thing is they don't stand up on end. Not sure why not as they fold up too. Possibly just needs the casters installed????? Be something worth considering.

Old 03-23-2016 | 11:12 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Craig's List is your friend. Search for "Kendon". In time, you can find a nice two bike Kendon for right around $1,000 with a bit of patience.

Old 03-26-2016 | 09:46 PM
Rathgar
Tourer

Guessing that you may want to haul 2 bikes at times so I'd look at a three rail MC trailer. I have an old one I used back in the 70's to haul MX bikes on and it would need an update on tires to handle 2 touring bikes (the axle has been beefed up).
I've seen similar for under $500. Mine hauls an EG just fine and 2 men can pick it up and move it.

Old 03-26-2016 | 11:26 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Just throwing this out for consideration.
Probably not workable for many people but if you have a pickup this is probably the safest method of loading motorcycle.

I've had many trailers and if you don't have one with a drop-down loading gate/door, loading and unloading can be sketchy, especially for one person or in wet weather.

http://www.advdesigns.com/rapolira1....20group%20%231

Old 03-27-2016 | 02:17 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

The HOA problem is at her house, therefore why not get an enclosed trailer and keep at your house?

Here is my trailer.

Last edited by Prot; 04-20-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2016 | 09:54 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Ok Sharpshooter.....the voice of reason is here.....she's a woman sometimes travels alone, she is independent obviously!!!!! This is perfect for her...check it out.....

Quick Reply: Need a trailer??? Bring the hate.