General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a trailer??? Bring the hate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:25 PM
Jumper1
Tourer

If renting from U-Haul is out of the question then look at Harbour freight. They have a couple of folding trailers that may work for you.

Old 03-22-2016 | 06:25 PM
graygoat
Road Master

I have and enclosed 6x10 v-nose now, but before this I used a 5x8 utility trailer for my 2 wheelers. I also used it for hauling lumber, junk, ect - dual purpose. I put a condor wheel chock in it (there are other camlock chocks out there). It has a steel rack about 14 inches above the bed. I tied down on the bed frame with ratchet straps (4) and also used a couple tied to the upper rail to help prevent cornering lean in transport. I put a folding wheel jack on the toung. This allowed my to move the unloaded trailer around by hand quite easily. I removed the tail gate, it was too short for loading the bike and did create wind drag on the road. I had a 3 piece folding ramp (36" wide) that I could ride the bike on and back it off (a little scary the first time but go slow and you are ok). Once loaded, I took the ramp apart and put it in the bed along side the bike and strapped it down. Good to go. Still have and use this trailer for other hauling.

If I were to do it again, I would go for a 6x10. I think the extra width would allow for better side to side strapping leverage and the extra length allows more adjustment for chock placement (getting the toung wt right.

Good luck on what ever you do.

Old 03-22-2016 | 09:01 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain

I just have a 4X8 utility trail from farm and home store with drop down four foot gate, cheap and easy.
Picked up a wheel chuck from harbor freight and you can use it for other things other then hauling bike

Old 03-22-2016 | 10:50 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

I bought Kendon dual Ride Up in Dec. and towed my bike from IN to FL over Xmas behind my Ford Escape. Didn't even know the trailer was behind me! An enclosed was considered, but I knew it would only be used once or twice a yr and didn't want it to take up any room in the garage.

Old 03-23-2016 | 03:08 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Nice garage.

Old 03-23-2016 | 05:38 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by chadk
i have heard many good reviews on the uhaul trailers.
Originally Posted by threedeuce5
Don't know if you've checked into this or not, but uhaul rents a MC trailer for next to nothing and they're great. This would solve both problems you have.
Wholeheartedly agree with those 2 posts above. Rented UHaul 5' x 9' MC trailer with built in floor groove, wall chock and ramp. Towed like a dream. Only cost me $35 a day. Don't see the real reason why I have to spend thousands of dollars on a MC trailer that I'm not going to use it a lot. Also, Your GF doesn't have to deal with HOA's non-sense rules too.

Thorey

Old 03-23-2016 | 08:01 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Talking

Excalibur motorcycle trailer(google it) Lil pricey but I love mine. Very light,enclosed,roof raises, sturdy,ride on one hand ramp,even lowered bikes.

Old 03-23-2016 | 08:31 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
What are my options? I see some online but I do not see many reviews. Im looking for firsthand experience and opinions. Thanks
First off just to save you some reading time.
If I was you I would just go with a simple 5X8 utility trailer and if you find that you use it a lot to haul the bike, then perhaps invest in a more expensive option.

Now for the rest of the story:

You've already stated that it needs to be a trailer that you can keep in the back yard due to neighborhood covenants.
As a homeowner I appreciate that and it's the same for my neighborhood.

Originally I hauled my 09 Heritage in a simple 4X8 open utility trailer just like one's that you see lawn services use.
When not in use I would stow it under my deck in my backyard.

It weighs around 400 .lbs so moving it around by hand is not a big deal.
The nice thing is it can be used for other purposes when not hauling the bike.

Your location is listed as "Western TN".
There's a used trailer like I'm talking about on craigslist in Jackson.
Add a $40 HF wheel chock and some straps and for $400 you're in business.

Here's the craigslist link.
http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/tls/5498548288.html

Below is a picture of my Heritage on my open 4X8 utility trailer with the HF wheel chock.
If you notice at the lift-gate I had to add a 2X4 so that the gate didn't hit my tour pak.
With a Slim you wouldn't need the extra couple of inches.

Another option as Lloyd eluded too is a lightweight composite trailer like an "Excalibur" type trailer.
They are rather expensive at around $5K for a single bike model.

Excalibur no longer manufactures trailers, however a similar design is Ironhorse trailers.
Ironhorse trailers are located in Morrison TN.
http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/

These trailers weight in around 700 .lbs and are easily moved by hand.
I have an "Excalibur" trailer and even though I don't stow it in my backyard I could easily do so.

One issue with these composite trailers is beside cost is they are really a single use trailer.
I suppose you could haul other things in them but it would be rather cumbersome.

You can find these composite trailers for sale used from time-to-time but they generally aren't on the market long.
I was lucky to find my 2000 Excalibur for $2150.

Below is a picture of my Excalibur trailer.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-23-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2016 | 08:36 AM
penmaker
Road Master

My wife and I trailer our '14 Limited quite a bit. She loves to ride but is unable to ride long distances due to 7 back surgeries with fusions, rods, screws, etc. I bought a multi purpose trailer that wouldn't work for you but works for us. It's a 77" x 12' trailer with ramp rear gate. I also mow yards in the summer so I use it to haul my mower. Let people talk all they want and tell them to kiss your a**.

Old 03-23-2016 | 08:58 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluraven
First off just to save you some reading time.
If I was you I would just go with a simple 5X8 utility trailer and if you find that you use it a lot to haul the bike, then perhaps invest in a more expensive option.

Now for the rest of the story:

You've already stated that it needs to be a trailer that you can keep in the back yard due to neighborhood covenants.
As a homeowner I appreciate that and it's the same for my neighborhood.

Originally I hauled my 09 Heritage in a simple 4X8 open utility trailer just like one's that you see lawn services use.
When not in use I would stow it under my deck in my backyard.

It weighs around 400 .lbs so moving it around by hand is not a big deal.
The nice thing is it can be used for other purposes when not hauling the bike.

Your location is listed as "Western TN".
There's a used trailer like I talking about on craigslist in Jackson.
Add a $40 HF wheel chock and some straps and for $400 you're in business.

Here's the craigslist link.
http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/tls/5498548288.html

Here's a picture of my Heritage on my open 4X8 utility trailer with the HF wheel chock.
If you notice at the lift-gate I had to add a 2X4 so that the gate didn't hit my tour pak.
With a Slim you wouldn't need the extra couple of inches.

Another option as Lloyd eluded too is a lightweight composite trailer like an "Excalibur" type trailer.
They are rather expensive at around $5K for a single bike model.

Excalibur no longer manufactures trailers, however a similar design is Ironhorse trailers.
Ironhorse trailers are located in Morrison TN.
http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/

These trailers weight in around 700 .lbs and are easily moved by hand.
I have an "Excalibur" trailer and even though I don't stow it in my backyard I could easily do so.

One issue with these composite trailers is beside cost is they are really a single use trailer.
I suppose you could haul other things in them but it would be rather cumbersome.

You can find these composite trailers for sale used from time-to-time but they generally aren't on the market long.
I was lucky to find my 2000 Excalibur for $2150.

Below is a picture of my Excalibur trailer.

The utility trailer really makes the most sense from a money standpoint.. I just know she likes the idea of the kendon due to being able to roll it up against the wall.. But damn they are high.

Quick Reply: Need a trailer??? Bring the hate.