General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter scuff on boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Shifter scuff on boot

Check out the Sidi On road sympatex boots. It has extra leather where the shifter hits your boot...
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/sympatex.htmlI have a pair that I have been wearing for about 7 years. It's about time for new soles on mine. Scootergrrl just got a pair and loves them.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

ORIGINAL: bensonjv
I'm really putting a hurt'n on my left boot from the shifter. The leather is really scuffed and I have cracks forming in the creases. Its only a matter of time before I have a hole.

I think I have seen riding boots with an extra patch of leather there to reinforce it.

Anyone take their boot to a cobbler to have them add one? Any other suggestions besides replacing the boots?
dude, get real boots. if your boots are being done in by the shifter, they arent going to protect your feet if you need them too. cosmetic boots are for the nightclubs. for riding, you need boots that are more substantial.
I'm like bensonjv. I have the Harley boots(and have had for 6 years - 70K+ miles) and the toe is scuffed from shifting. I have the Iso-peg from Kuryakyn. Mine hasn't started cracking yet because I hit them every so often with some saddle soap and good polish.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better boots or heel-toe shift.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with the heritage, shifter ruining boots. A true riding boot will fare better, but still scuff eventually. I wear wesco out on the road but in town I often wear Lariat for daily wearor some other dress boots for going out. I put on a smooth shifter peg and it totally solved the problem. (stock shifter has those ridges) Anything smooth up on the custom stuff wall at your closest dealer.The bike and boots are ten years old now with no scuff. Shoe polish too, get a can-O-Kiwi, givethem a clean and shine just like you do your bike. Ten years now, the Lariats have the patina of age, but still look look great, the Wesco show no wear whatsoever after about 20,000 miles on them alone, they are just now starting to get really comfortable.....they cost ALOT, but you only buy them once.
I bought a Sportster this year for ripping around in the city, same thing, the shifter started eating a hole in my dress boots, changed peg, solved problem.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

Me again....correction, Ariat boots not "Lariat".......great boots, very comfortable, good daily wear

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Either way you are making a statement about what you are: A Biker!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Slip a condom over the shifter..............Plus youll always have one handy

Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

Any other suggestions besides replacing the boots?
I wear a pair of boots that don't get the scuff marks. I say duct tape up the boots once the hole starts.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have worn the same pair of Millwuakee Boots for over 18,000 miles on my Ultra, Plus 16,000 on my Fat Boy before that,and you can not see any Scuff. I don't use the heel shifter, but I do clean my boots and even put a bit of polish on them once every other month or so..

Clean them with Saddle Soap, Polish them with a good Paste polish. I treat them like I did my Air Force Combat Boots, I keep them looking good...and never see any scuffs..

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley boots (does that make me a poser?)

Stock shift peg for first 8000, Kuryakyn Iso peg for about 2000.

Just cause they're Harley ... don't make 'em good. I've never had your problem ... panheads, shovelheads, evos, twinkies. My guess is your boots need replaced.

Quick Reply: Shifter scuff on boot