Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to quit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 AM
TheMadadh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it time to quit?

I meet a lot of older riders where I live and work, and when I start talking to them about riding, I often get the response that they no longer ride. I'm usually a bit taken aback because these aren't "old" men at all. Like 60 year olds...

I've never been brave enough (or had enough time) to actually ask what made them stop, and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on when enough is enough. When are you "too old" to ride?

Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 AM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm 63 and still ride with no intention of stopping any time in the near future. I keep myself in good physical shape and do not have any physical ailments or problems when riding. When the time comes when I can no longer handle riding the bike due to either muscle weakness or poor concentration then I will stop riding.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:55 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default For The Record!

FIRST of all, let me say that 60 years old IS NOT OLD! Now, that being said, my determining factor about when to "give it up" has always been and should remain that as long as I can remain mentally ahead of the bike and still have the physical wherewithal to handle it, I will continue to ride.

I used to be a fairly active private pilot. Towards the end of my flying time I started to feel that even though I could fly the plane, at certain times the plane would be "ahead" of me. This was directly attributable to the amount of time I was spending in the air. The final time I landed, I walked away knowing that it was the right time to quit. I always held in reserve the possibility of getting back into flying when I would have more time to contribute to it and keep more proficient at it.

The same will apply to my riding. As long as I'm mentally and physically able to ride, I will. I would only hope that towards the end of my riding (everyone gets a turn at it) my mental prowess would still be sharp enough to let me realize that it would be the time to hang it up. If not I might be one of those 90 year olds that the kids take the keys away from!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I'll be 67 this summer and I have to say I've slowed down a bit but IMO your body will tell you when it's time..

We used to ride about 8-10K a yr. but last yr due to some of the Wife's health issues we only rode about 5k.

When to give it up is not the same for everyone.. I've had a Broken Back and a shattered knee and as long as I can hold the bike up and I am mostly pain free I'll keep riding...

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 11:00 AM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

I am 72, still ride. I feel I am good until 75, then I will have a long talk with the face in the mirror. As of now I am in good shape, slight knee problems but other wise mentally fit and physically well.

Mother nature will let you know when it is time to hang up the leather jacket.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:17 AM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
FIRST of all, let me say that 60 years old IS NOT OLD! Now, that being said, my determining factor about when to "give it up" has always been and should remain that as long as I can remain mentally ahead of the bike and still have the physical wherewithal to handle it, I will continue to ride.

I used to be a fairly active private pilot. Towards the end of my flying time I started to feel that even though I could fly the plane, at certain times the plane would be "ahead" of me. This was directly attributable to the amount of time I was spending in the air. The final time I landed, I walked away knowing that it was the right time to quit. I always held in reserve the possibility of getting back into flying when I would have more time to contribute to it and keep more proficient at it.

The same will apply to my riding. As long as I'm mentally and physically able to ride, I will. I would only hope that towards the end of my riding (everyone gets a turn at it) my mental prowess would still be sharp enough to let me realize that it would be the time to hang it up. If not I might be one of those 90 year olds that the kids take the keys away from!
I have a very similar story, I was very active flying, but due to competing interest(family, work, hobbies etc) I wasn't flying as much and I wasn't flying enough to keep myself at the level of proficiency that I wanted to be at. Sold the plane about 5 months ago, to a lady that has nothing but time and money. She is going through the plane and having an all new glass panel put in (I had steam gauges), new interior and custom paint. I miss it, but the Ultra takes some of the sting out of it and I can rent to fly cheaper than it was to own.

I agree as long as I can keep the bike up, be ahead of it sufficiently to ride properly and safely, I'll ride.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 AM
TheMadadh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadadh
these aren't "old" men at all. Like 60 year olds...
FIRST of all, let me say that 60 years old IS NOT OLD!
That's what I said. It's very surprising to me that these guys could give it up. Most of them look really healthy. I just can't imagine ever wanting to quit, but that's probably just me being naive...

Thanks for the response.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,777 Likes on 3,153 Posts

My instincts, such as seeing 'stupid' coming and other situational awareness seem as strong as ever, but both throwing the leg over her in the morning and then backing her out onto the gravel drive reminds me that I'm not as young as I used to be. (Did somebody take some air out of these tires? )

But once I'm rolling I feel the same as I always did so I'm good thus far. (I just rode to Daytona and back and spent 12 plus hours doing it each way so that was a good sign.)

63 years old this June.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

69 next week, still feel comfortable on the bike. I don't do wheelies (not counting an occasional little hop) or powerslides any more, except in snow, and I try to limit that to the sidecar rig. I seldom go over 90, too. I did make some concessions to age, put the most comfortable seat I could find on the 1200, and a windshield for cold and/or rides over an hour; my lower back and shoulders don't take well to forward controls at highway speeds any more. That's not a problem on my Glide, of course. Just found out last month that riding a Russian sidecar rig with decades old suspension technology over rutted and potholed dirt roads could still give the old behind a serious case of butthurt, though.

Hopefully, my daughter will give me rides if/when I reach a point where I'm still breathing but can't handle a bike. Better yet, my grandson - he's 6 now. I've even done a sort of proof of concept and let her drive with me in the sidecar - that's actually kinda fun. Grandkid can't reach the shift lever yet, till then he's just a mechanic in training; that I don't have to be able to ride to do.

Even if you can't hold a bike up, or handle it anymore, doesn't mean you have to sell everything and forget it. There are still ways to get on the road without a cage around you. He can't reach the shift lever, but he can ride it if you get him started...

I did give up flying, but not for health, just got more expensive than I was willing to pay.

Last edited by Imold; 03-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,970 Likes on 17,892 Posts

You park it when the times right for you for whatever your reasons are and screw what anyone else thinks or what age you should be according to all the experts in here.

Quick Reply: When is it time to quit?