General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with viking bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 06:11 PM
jbfb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oct1949
ifailedenglishandistillfindthathathardtoread..
Well, if you FAILED English I can't say I'm surprised...
but seriously, what is that in reference to?

It's nice to see someone from Viking stepping up to address the problems. There was a whole giant thread about another company (who I don't recall chiming in) that got locked after people kept complaining.

I for one had a great experience with Viking and the bags I bought are holding up very well and were a STEAL compared to other bags I was looking at.

I hope folks can keep us updated as to whether they get their issues handled or not.

Old 05-17-2016 | 03:35 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the understanding guys, if ever you guys have any issues with your bags or issue with customer service you can always contact me and I will work out the best possible solution for you.

We are working our best to fix our customer service issues.

Old 05-17-2016 | 03:37 PM
Streebo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbfb
Well, if you FAILED English I can't say I'm surprised...
but seriously, what is that in reference to?

It's nice to see someone from Viking stepping up to address the problems. There was a whole giant thread about another company (who I don't recall chiming in) that got locked after people kept complaining.

I for one had a great experience with Viking and the bags I bought are holding up very well and were a STEAL compared to other bags I was looking at.

I hope folks can keep us updated as to whether they get their issues handled or not.
I believe it was Jeff that responded to me after posting here. Absolutely top notch customer service from him and I'm extremely happy with how it was handled. He should get a raise.

The following users liked this post:
Viking Bags (05-20-2016)
Old 07-13-2016 | 06:54 PM
julianth
2nd Gear

Hi all
A bit long winded but worth a read!

I thought I’d just share my recent experience with Viking Bags here in New Zealand. The product is shipped from Australia though I believe the support is from The US.
I ordered a set of Harley Dyna Low Rider FXDL Lamellar Shock Cutout Covered Hard Saddlebags, and Quick Disconnect System for Harley Dyna on the 27th May I received them in three separate consignments on 16th & 17th June, this doesn’t quite seem to stack up to their claims of fast delivery! We are only 3 hours flight away over the ditch!

It turns out that QDS was small size and doesn’t fit lowrider which is what was ordered.
Contacted Viking online, turns out that the large QDS is not available for at least two months and so were sending out small ones with each order (never mind that they couldn’t possibly fit the bike in question!!) Was then told that I could send QDS back for a refund, but what do I do with the bags? (If I had known they weren’t in stock I probably would have gone elsewhere)
I also noted that the brackets were both slightly different in size and one had been badly modified (see picture)

I emailed Viking about this as well and was told to send them back for a replacement.
So it’s now been about a month and I’m starting to get a bit hacked off with the whole affair and wishing that I had gone with another manufacturer/supplier.
Since I am going to have to modify this set anyway to fit the lowrider I may as well get on with it as Viking don’t appear to have the want to resolve this easily for me
Would be good to at least get an apology out of them!

I did notice that the bags are slightly different when you look closely at them and I had to also bend the lock brackets to keep them shut. The chromed mount parts are a bit average the slots cut in them are all slightly different so I note that the bags do rattle, fortunately Harleys are loud enough to drown this out (except at idle !). I also spotted the labels inside that say made in Pakistan, which probably explains a lot!!

Almost forgot, they also charged me 10% tax (this I assumed was Australian GST that they legally can’t charge on export product, when I pointed this out they told me it was a NZ tax. You can’t charge that from an Australian business, also NZ GST is 15% not 10% Eventually they refunded it to me but only after I hounded them, had I not they would have got away with an extra 10%, cheeky Eh!)

Not sure after this experience that I would I recommend them? Would you?

So to try and finish on a positive note as you can see the end result looks good, but the journey there sucks big time and no thanks to any help from Viking!

Last edited by julianth; 07-13-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added text
Old 06-05-2017 | 06:36 PM
brock1
Novice

If you live in Canada, save your money on buying Viking's quick release bracket and purchase Easy Bracket's quick release. The shipping is literally 70% less. Not to impressed with Viking's customer service. My experience... They're only in it for your money, not your satisfaction!

Old 08-11-2017 | 06:25 AM
DCWC
Intermediate

Heads up, I'm having issues with the product as well. I have emailed Viking twice and will share the email's once I am fed up with the customer service end.
Did you do anything about the loosens of the quick disconnect? It rattles louder that the Python Pipes.

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:46 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Go back up and read post 29 & 32 maybe that will help.

Old 08-11-2017 | 04:19 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Buyer beware. I bought bags for my Softail and had nothing but issues and promises.
They wound up in the trash where they belonged. Imho

A year after I got rid of them customer service reached out to resolve the problem. They wouldn't stay shut and in my case the rear of the bag developed a hole out of nowhere.

Me personally would not buy from them again.

Old 08-13-2017 | 12:13 AM
DCWC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Go back up and read post 29 & 32 maybe that will help.
I think your drinking their coolaid. Their customer service tries to make there problem your problem. All they (Viking Bags) has to do is fix there mounting hardware problems. This is a common thread in most of the complaints that I see in this forum. They (Viking Bags) know that is the issue, looking at these threads they have know and have acknowledged. If I wanted something rattling on my Scoot, I would have put a card in the spokes like i did when I was 6. Geeze. I'm about to post the entire email chain I have had with Viking bags.

Old 08-13-2017 | 07:43 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Viking Bags
Thanks for the understanding guys, if ever you guys have any issues with your bags or issue with customer service you can always contact me and I will work out the best possible solution for you.

We are working our best to fix our customer service issues.
I first heard that comment over 3 years ago, it's getting old with no results.

Quick Reply: Problem with viking bags