General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Wide Glide Handle bars/ Fork ISSUE??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Most roads, especially 2 lane, have a crown in the middle. When you are riding, it is like you are riding sideways on the side of a very small hill. Do you think that could account for your observation?

Have you verified correct tire pressure?
Thanks for the reply! I don't believe it could be the road. I rode some country roads for around an hour yesterday evening and rode on both sides of the road to test that and seems to be the same observation. The only thing I can think of is either the back wheel is slightly out of alignment or some how the forks were not torqued in the correct sequence from the factory. To my untrained eye, it almost looks like the top tree and front wheel are not perfectly perpendicular.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
Get the factory service manual. It has all the specs, adjustments, and torques in it.
Don't rely on the service department.
I read through the owners manual yesterday and couldn't find a thing on torque specs. Is there a specific service manual that I was suppose to get along with the owners manual?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,625 Likes on 1,623 Posts

i've seen this before. get it upin the air and loosen everything up,bottom tree is normally where this happens at and just like everyone used to do with their bicycles hold the front wheel and tweet it back to straight.

The following users liked this post:
LEEROYWILLY (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LEEROYWILLY
I read through the owners manual yesterday and couldn't find a thing on torque specs. Is there a specific service manual that I was suppose to get along with the owners manual?
There's no torque specs in the owner's manual. There is a service manual available. It doesn't come with the bike. You've got to buy it separately. It's around $60 from the dealer and well worth the price.

LEEROYWILLY (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdm
There's no torque specs in the owner's manual. There is a service manual available. It doesn't come with the bike. You've got to buy it separately. It's around $60 from the dealer and well worth the price.
OK Thanks much! Ill look into getting one. Would you happen to know the specs of the tree clamps and axle clamps on the bottom of the forks?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

a quick way of checking if the rear wheel is out of alignment is to simply measure the length of the axel adjuster bolts.

LEEROYWILLY (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:09 PM
ss313
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can loosen both of the triple trees and move the front wheel slightly from side to side. I racked a few in my dirt bike days. I always just tightened them "goodantight" but they were dirt bikes. I'm sure someone with a FSM can come up with the torque specs.

LEEROYWILLY (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ss313
I'm sure someone with a FSM can come up with the torque specs.
Anybody? lol ... Thanks man!

Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Tape measure your fork distance between each other from the top down, that should calm that concern.
Check the alignment distance of your rear axle on each side, that would solve that question.
Isn't there a warranty on your bike?
Take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
If all of the above doesn't work, take it to a independent shop- they ride more than some of the dealer technicians do, they'd pick it up right away.
If they find something wrong, get it in writing, send a email to the H-D regional rep and tell him your experience with the stealership.

LEEROYWILLY (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:28 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
Tape measure your fork distance between each other from the top down, that should calm that concern.
Check the alignment distance of your rear axle on each side, that would solve that question.
Isn't there a warranty on your bike?
Take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
If all of the above doesn't work, take it to a independent shop- they ride more than some of the dealer technicians do, they'd pick it up right away.
If they find something wrong, get it in writing, send a email to the H-D regional rep and tell him your experience with the stealership.
Thanks man! Sorry guys for not posting updates about this in a while. I've been so frustrated I don't even want to think about it. I can't really check the rear wheel alignment 100% accurately with what I have available. Nor do I have a motorcycle jack.
The stealership said the rear wheel alignment "was fine"... There is a warranty on the bike as I bought it brand new about a month ago now. I took it to a second dealership last week to let them look at it, After showing the mechanic what to look for, he came back and said "I guess I've rode so many bikes that do that, I've never noticed it before." and "There is nothing to adjust"... WTH???
It's only maybe 4-5 degrees to the right if you look at the top tree to the frame, but why should I accept this as "fine" and "ok" Its a BRAND NEW BIKE. Last week a guy who I'm guessing is the manager from the dealership I bought it from called me to ask how I am liking the bike. After telling him my situation and how the mechanics said they couldn't see anything, he told me to bring it back up there and find him.
I am going back up there this Saturday, finding the manager, and see what he says. Hopefully he will get it sorted out for me. If not, there is an independent shop down the road that I'll take it to. Everybody say a prayer for me that I get everything straightened out. Thanks guys!