General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Counter balance at about 20 and below, lean into the turn above that is what I've always heard and done. YMMV

Old 03-10-2016, 04:42 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Is counter leaning the same as counter culture?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Is counter leaning the same as counter culture?
It's a buzzword, like counter steering, for motorcyclists who never really learned how to ride a bicycle.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,049 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Curiosity got the best of me and I looked up counter-leaning. I'm not really sure if it's the actual definition, but it was described as leaning the bike, but keeping your body upright and lean away from the turn. Kind of the opposite of what MotoGP racers do when the lean their body way down into the turn.

This was the explanation which made sense -

"Through the tight cones, they counter lean when the speed is slow, through the curve at the end, they hang off the inside to increase ground clearance.

At anything over about 15mph, you can hang off the inside because you have enough momentum and load on your tires, below that speed, you could do it, but you would have a hard time picking the bike up again to go straight. You would probably end up in a quickly decreasing radius curve and eventually fall off the inside. This happens sometimes in racing, where the rider hangs off the inside and actually falls off.

At slow speeds, counter leaning keeps a more vertical load on the tires and maintains balance where there is less lateral load.

The situation where this feels more natural, to counter lean, is pulling out of a side street where you have to make a relatively sharp turn at low'ish speeds. You probably could avoid counter leaning in this situation, but you would have to be reasonably hard on the gas and committed, with a lot of lean, and there is a good chance you would lose traction on the rear wheel."

So not the same as counter steering.

Last edited by nevada72; 03-10-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:19 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Like others said, I do all the above without giving it much thought. I push the bars, pull the bars, lean sometimes, sometimes I throw my knee to the side and catch air to pull the bike into a turn. When I start to think about what I'm doing it all starts to fall apart.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Like others said, I do all the above without giving it much thought. I push the bars, pull the bars, lean sometimes, sometimes I throw my knee to the side and catch air to pull the bike into a turn. When I start to think about what I'm doing it all starts to fall apart.
This is the most accurate statement about it, at least for me. If I consciously try to think when leaning, I it mess up. If you have been doing it for years, you don't really think about it.

Last edited by kingxirol; 03-10-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

My Softail has limited cornering clearance, so I lean my body to the inside on fast corners to avoid dragging the undercarriage. Comes from my old days of riding sport bikes.

The "counter leaning" is apparently done in VERY slow speed maneuvering, so, yeah, I probably do that to, but don't really think about it, I just do it.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:30 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I might "counter lean" and don't know it. But can see the benefit on a slow tight turn.

Everybody "counter steers" whether they know it or not. You have to. It isn't something that you decide to do or not. "Hey I'm going to try that counter steering technique, next time I'm out on the bike." (Hey goofball, I have news...you already were, every time you rode). It's physics and it is what you do when your going any speed faster than about 10-15 mph. Don't believe me? Go out and consciously try to turn your front wheel in the direction of the turn/curve (curve going left, turn wheel to the left). Or just going straight down the center of your lane, try pointing your front wheel toward the right to go toward the curb. Now when that didn't work and you're still not convinced (I know some of your are really thick headed), try pointing your front wheel to the left to run into the oncoming lane.

Your bike steering isn't like your car steering.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 03-10-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

If I had to think about what I was doing when i am leaning I would probably fall off.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Damn, I'm confused now. Here's as simple as I can make it...

Counter Steer - Push the handlebar a fraction of an inch on the side you want to turn towards. This will initiate a very quick lean, which you then assist by shiting your weight into the turn.

Counter Leaning - When turning at slow speeds and the bike starts to lean, you may need to lean in the opposite direction to prevent it from falling.

Passengers - Trust the rider and mirror what he does.

Quick Reply: Leaning