General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sleeping bag ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:44 PM
Bigbender
|
Road Captain
Default What sleeping bag ?

I'm trying to find a "thin but warm" sleeping bag for overnite bike trips. We had 70 degrees yesterday and frost last night... I've looked at Dick's and Dunham's but haven't seen one that goes below 30 degrees without being real thick. I want to be able to roll it up to about 10" dia. (or less) so it doesn't take up a bunch of room on the sissy bar.

Has anyone found one like this ?

Old 05-14-2007 | 08:46 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Default RE: What sleeping bag ?

I just bought a self inflating pad and I intend to use a large beach towel from Ron Jon Surf shop as a blanket to save space. Haven't used it yet so I don't know how well I'll sleep. The beach towel (blanket) will do double or triple duty, showers etc.
Fred

Old 05-14-2007 | 09:18 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I haven't used a bag in years and don't really have a recommendation for you except to tell you: do not buy a goose down bag. They are tempting because they compress into small packages which is desirable on a bike. Their BIG disadvantage is they provice lousy insulation if they get wet. If you are reasonably certain your bag won't get wet, a goose down isthe way to gobecause it will roll up into the smallest size.

Old 05-14-2007 | 10:02 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Bigbender

I'm trying to find a "thin but warm" sleeping bag for overnite bike trips. We had 70 degrees yesterday and frost last night... I've looked at Dick's and Dunham's but haven't seen one that goes below 30 degrees without being real thick. I want to be able to roll it up to about 10" dia. (or less) so it doesn't take up a bunch of room on the sissy bar.

Has anyone found one like this ?

If you can keep it dry, down is the way to go, but like Whaap said - wet feathers suck a**. Put a trashbag around it when you pack it.

I've got a couple of high end down bags from http://www.westernmountaineering.com Expensive as hell, but I climb and backpack year round in the colorado mtns so their worth the money for me. Also, check out the "light and fast" ones at REI, they'll be less expensive but a little lower quality (WM is the best I've found yet)
http://www.rei.com/camping/shoplette...ight_fast_down

Old 05-15-2007 | 01:45 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

You can buy a fleece "sleeping bag" at any department type store for $15-20. They packsmall, are warm, and dryquickly when wet. They will also unzip completely and act like a full size blanket. I use one as a bag liner when I go winter camping.

Old 05-15-2007 | 01:51 AM
Rick 547
Tourer

Tried one of the fleece sleeping bags once. Like to froze to death and it only go down to the high 50ths. I bought a down one at walmart for not much money. Most come with a water proof bag and have draw down straps on the side.

Old 05-15-2007 | 01:59 AM
timdow
Tourer

Less than 10" is easy. I got an REI bag for $100 that compresses into the size of a football.

For temps down in the 30's, you will want a 20 degree bag. Keep in mind that the bags rating takes into account a good sleeping pad. The things to consider for the bag aredown or man-made materials, left zip or right zip, and lenght.

Down is lightest and feels the best, but is worthless when wet. If you live in a wet climate or intend to sleep under the stars a lot, man-made materials is the way to go. Man-made is also a bit more durable, and a bit less expensive, but also somewhat bulkier.

Some of the nicest bags are 40 degree/ 20 degree two-piece bags. Basically a bag with a liner.

Believe it or not, left-zip or right-zip can make a huge difference. I didn't think it would, but very awkward for me whenI gothe wrong one.

Also get a good inflatable pad. Thermarest comes to mind.

Purchase on sale! No need to pay full retail, there are always good bags on sale!

Old 05-15-2007 | 02:30 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I looked around at the REI sleeping bags, and ultimately ended up going to a sale at Sports Authority. I hunted through all the bags and ultimately found the smallest one. Basically a Coleman that was rated for down to 20 degrees. I think, however, that the lowest temperature I've used it in is about 40-45 degrees. It packs down to something smaller than most sleeping bags I found, but it's still about 10" to 12" in diameter when packed up.

Old 05-15-2007 | 03:03 AM
zombie
Banned

Honestly, most of the time I use wool blankets (Army issue kind)...not as fancy, but keep you warm even when it's wet.

I probably contributed nothing usefulto this conversation.

Old 05-15-2007 | 03:51 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master

ive had good luck with inexpensive sleeping bag from sporting good store. i dont need it to compress too small. heck im brining a tent too. im just strapping em to the bike. it is good to have it be warm enough, but its not like im camping in the snow. most of the events i ride to and camp at are during generally nice enough weather.

polyester fill sleeping bag is nice. they stay warm if somehow they get wet, they are inexpensive, and they last a long time.

the one thing i have noticed is that i really prefer rectangular cut sleeping bags. the "mummy" style bags are constricting.

Quick Reply: What sleeping bag ?