Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Side the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
392heminut
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High Side the bike?

Highsides are BAD! Go ahead.............ask me how I know![sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a highside on my RK last year, I was lucky. I have seen two guys die when the biked landed back on them after a highside crash. Scary way to wreck.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HDSilvrStreak

I'm still new to the forums and have seen this phrase a couple of times. What exactly are you talking about when you say that you had to "high side" a bike? It's obviously an accident, but seems to be a specific term. I looked first in the HD Lingo post, but it is not listed there.
ooo High Sidin... very painful and expensive... many riders kilt by ther own machines whackin them.

here ya go ... some of the best info on the subject of riding a two wheeled machine(IMHO) for riders out on the web.

look for article #1in the column on the left sideof the page, there is ashort mov of a cafe bike "high siding"

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

HTH

When you look down the road, it seems to never end – but you better believe it does.
--anon

g newcomer

Old 05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

High siding is something you don't want to know too much about. I have high sided several times on other bikes I had. They are not fun. I always made it though okay physically, but it was not fun...[:@]

Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like this, if the bike is down and you are following it, it's a low-side crash. If, on the other hand, the bike is down and it is following you, that's a high-side crash. Very, very dangerous with a high probability for serious injury.

Motorcycle safety courses provide great info on how to avoid both low-side and high-side crashes. Check one out. You'll be glad you did.

<><Peace

Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

This is a high-side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_0PtgvxE4

Old 05-14-2007, 09:15 PM
99superglide
Tourer

basically if you don't want to have first-hand experience on highsiding just NEVER let off the rear brake pedal if you have locked it up and it starts to slide around on you. Wait to see if you can get it headed in a straightline again and if not it's better to lowside and slide to a stop than get catapolted off the highside.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
HDSilvrStreak
Advanced

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

It's like this, if the bike is down and you are following it, it's a low-side crash. If, on the other hand, the bike is down and it is following you, that's a high-side crash. Very, very dangerous with a high probability for serious injury.

Motorcycle safety courses provide great info on how to avoid both low-side and high-side crashes. Check one out. You'll be glad you did.

<><Peace
I agree and encourage everyone to take the class. I've taken the basic rider class twice. Once, when I bought my first bike in '87. I only rode for a couple of years and had a long layoff. When I decided to ride again, I took the class again in '01. Not only is a good learning tool, I don't anyone that took it that didn't have a really good time doing it. We all really enjoyed the experience. I think even people that have been riding for years will learn something.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

Always good to refresh your skills, and memory!

Good rule of thumb-(especially in a curve)
Lock up the rear tire, keep it locked up,
Lock up the front tire, gently let off, and re-apply.....
and I like to add prayer as nessessary

Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

As others have said, high-siding can hurt.....a lot. Did one last August. Had 5 ribs broken in 8 places, banged up spleen and kidney, punctured and collapsed lung, road rash on head, both arms and shoulders. Off work for 12 weeks healing up. Oh yeah, and I totaled a 3 week old 2007 Electra Glide Classic.

Quick Reply: High Side the bike?