General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped torx bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
XL Junkie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped torx bolt

I looked in the DIY forum but couldn't find anything. If I missed it please point me in the right direction. I tried to switch out the derby cover on my 04 Sporty and one of the #27 torx bolts is stripped and siezed. I'm not the original owner and I don't think I started to strip it, but definitely finished it. I tried to loosen it and it wouldn't budge but the bit kept slipping out. I used some Liquid Wrench. That still didn't work and I think it's too stripped to budge now. Can anyone recommend a way to loosen it? At this point I'm ready to take it to the dealer, but I really prefer to do this stuff myself. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stripped torx bolt

Been there done that. You need a screw extractor Sears has them.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple of things you can do, first, if there is still some part of the head that is in good condition, you can try cutting a slot in across the face of the screw and then using a regular screwdriver on it. If you can put your hands on a a #27 Torx bit and an impact driver, you can use that with a dead blow hammer to try to loosen the screw.

When you do get the screw out, remember to use anti-seize and maybe an allen head screw replacement.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:41 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

This type of thing happens all the time, my quick derby cover change over ended up being delayed due to a stripped torx bolt, here's some useful tips you will find if you did a search on this forum,

https://www.hdforums.com/searchpro.a...mitbutton=+OK+

Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I've had luck using a larger torx driver and jamming it in. I've had luck using an allen on a torx (and visa versa) and jamming it in.
The best luck I have had is the previously mentioned extactor from Sears - you will use it more than once, and not always on the bike. Well worth the 20 some odd bucks for a three bit set.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

There are a couple of things you can do, first, if there is still some part of the head that is in good condition, you can try cutting a slot in across the face of the screw and then using a regular screwdriver on it. If you can put your hands on a a #27 Torx bit and an impact driver, you can use that with a dead blow hammer to try to loosen the screw.

When you do get the screw out, remember to use anti-seize and maybe an allen head screw replacement.
Good ideas... also, sometimes you can get an allen wrench socket and pound it in there. I would try that first before doing the slot thing since you can always do that later.

Also, you can buy reverse drill bit screw extractors. They're basically a drill bit/broken screw extractor with reverse threads. You can drill a hole in the center and screw it in backwards.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 AM
baxter
Road Warrior

i have a couple ill most likely have problems with later too. i cant stand torque head bolts, the bits always seem loose onthe smaller ones and ive stripped a few.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

A dremel is the best thing to use. Just be careful and cut a nice slot in the bolt head and it will come right out with a flat head screw driver.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 AM
cajunman831
Tourer

drill a small hole in it if you can.then get a tap that size and slowly unscrew it out with lots of applied pressure.thats what i do.always works.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a head strip on mine ahd I did the dremel thing and one more:

Instead of a regular screw driver use a ratchet with a flathead bit in it. Gives you more leverage and you can apply in pressure with your other hand to keep the bit from slipping.

BTW- After stripping two heads like this I now just go by hand pressure on those bolts and do not torque wrench them. Once the screw is against the derby cover I give it another 1/2 turn and done. They are secure and come out easily.

Quick Reply: Stripped torx bolt