General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red River, NM Rally

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red River, NM Rally

Not much of a response in the sporty section... Should have posted here.

Anybody going to the Memorial Day Rally in Red River, New Mexico? This is a massive rally that takes over the town and lasts 4 days. It's up in the mountains of northern New Mexico. Beautiful country and it's part of the "Enchanted Circle". Which is a great cruise through Red River, Eagle Nest, Taos, etc. Can't wait. This is my first time and it's also the 25th anniversary.

Here's a link http://www.redrivernewmex.com/Mem.%20day%20write%20up.htm

Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Red River, NM Rally

Been every year for the last 10... stay in the campgrounds east of town between Red River and Questa.The last two years it has been less crowded, but that's a good thing - it hasn't taken an hour to travel from one end of town to the other (1.25 miles).

Enjoy!

Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Gunney8
Cruiser

Been going the past 3 years. Bride won't tent, so we have a friend who doesn't ride but owns a motorhome. Bride and I ride down from Colo Spgs to Eagles Nest camping area with about 4 other couples. Men get the tents toourselves while bride and the rest of the women sleep in the motorhome. Works out pretty good. We ride the circle and see the town sites during the day, and when we get back ,hot mealand cold beer awaits. It's not Sturgis, but it's a good spring kick-off rally.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a rally I'd love to attend. I haven't been in the Red River area since back in the 70s when I lived in OKC. We used to go there to ski. I'll have to jot this one down for a future trip -- beautiful country.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:34 AM
LRonHoover
Banned

IF you go, be careful. New Mexico is a b.s. state when it comes to drivers. Dancer and Tim ended up dead a few years ago and their s.o.'s are permanently mangled from a kid with no license. No prosecution and that kid is free. If you ride in New Mexico... watch your ***... and pray.

It would be in YOUR best interest to fully read this link.
http://www.memorialdayrally.com/justice.htm

Hence the Fallen Bikers Memorial Rally in Salida, Co
www.memorialdayrally.com

BTW, I was living in NM when it happened and I met the survivors.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't do this rally anymore just because of what LRonHoover just posted. The people in Red River could care less about bikers. They take your money, and if one of their "Golden Boy" teenagers that is friends with the DAkills you, they give him a medal.

I love the area up there, and ride through often, but I try to make sure I spendminimal money there, and certainly not at the inflated prices they charge during the rally.

Bill

Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Sounds like times other than the rally might be better. My recollection (from back in the 70s) was that the NM roads left something to be desired -- I wonder if that's still the case? Back then, it was trips from OKC to ski in the winter and hike the mountains in the summer. Never rode a bike there, though.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Gunney8
Cruiser

LRON, don't think the kid ended up scott=free and the reason (so I've been led to believe) the local leo didn't pursue is because he knew the family.... but that didn't mean the kid walked, the case was sent to another jurisdiction. I kinda lost track of the final outcome, as the incident was about 3 years ago(???)... Anyway, ya doesn't need to spend a lota $$ anywhere... gas (take my own brew and chow) and inflated prices follow any/all biker rallies.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't remember all the details right now, but the kid ended up virtually scott free. He plead guilty to Careless Driving, a misdemeanor that is only 4 points on a license. He did not evenlose his driving priviledges.

The case was sent to another jursidiction only after a public outcry by bikers, and by this time local LEO and the DA's office hadthe case so screwed up that F. Lee Bailey couldn't have prosecuted it.

I think that I read somewhere that he has been in trouble with the law since the crash, and that case was handled basically the same.

Inflated prices follow all biker rallys, but I am not going to pay them in a place that has such disregard for motorcycle riders.

Bill

Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Gunkholes

My recollection (from back in the 70s) was that the NM roads left something to be desired -- I wonder if that's still the case?
I moved here 6 1/2 years ago from Pa. NM roads are WAY better maintained than some other states I have been through...especially Pa.

Quick Reply: Red River, NM Rally