General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front brake pads

I started hearing a sound from the brakes like the pads were dragging on the rotor. I took the bike to my local indy guy and he just called me and said the problem was the brakes pads were glazed over and were dragging on the rotor. He also said one of the pistons in the left caliper was collapsed and he fixed that. My question is, has anyone heard of brake pads glazing over? I have 8k on the bike and ride it all the time. I even rode over the winter and the longest the bike sat was about 5-6 weeks.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 PM
twinfreeze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front brake pads

My rear brake has just recently beenmaking extremely loud noises when I brake.
I just had them checked in December and the tech said that there was more than 1/2 the pad left and everything looked good.(just ridden a 1000 miles since)I still stop fine but the noise sure is loud. Guess I'll have to make my way back to the dealer (again)

twinfreeze

Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had it happen to the rear brake on my scoot and have had it happen on cars before...usually it's enough to take some sandpaper to them to break the glaze (the glaze is smooth and kind of cloudy looking).

Glazing usually happens when brake pads are drug against the rotor and heat up(my rear glazed up because I was using it in D.C. stop and go traffic).

Old 05-11-2007, 03:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

The tech said the pad looked to have about 60% of the life left but that when itglazed over it became very brittle and wascracking.

I wonder if the glazing was from thestuck caliper pistonwhich caused the pads to drag on the rotor and generate a lot of heatand then glazed over.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I wonder if the glazing was from thestuck caliper pistonwhich caused the pads to drag on the rotor and generate a lot of heatand then glazed over.
most likely unless you did some heavy stop/go traffic for miles or parade route?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
em2780
Advanced

The tech said the pad looked to have about 60% of the life left but that when itglazed over it became very brittle and wascracking.

I would think that the stuck caliper piston should be covered under warrenty and damaged that it caused according to your profile you have a 2006 I would call your dealer service department.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:41 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

When I called them about this the first time I got the standard, "This is normal" reply. You might be right, but I'd bet they'd say this falls under "normal wear and tear" and not covered under warranty. The work is being done by a local indy guy and not the dealer.

ORIGINAL: em2780

I would think that the stuck caliper piston should be covered under warrenty and damaged that it caused according to your profile you have a 2006 I would call your dealer service department.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:33 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Pete, is this a cyclical whine like a speedo cable going bad on an old type unit? I have just started hearing the same thing and the front brakes seem to be dragging. Thought it might be a wheel bearing but dealer says brakes are more likely AND covered on my 06 with 11K. Just sayin'

EZ

Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

No, it's like a dull scratching sound as the front wheel moves, almost like metal on metal. My indy guy just finished intalling the new brake pads and I didn't think the dealer would cover brake padsunder warranty. That would be nice if your dealer covers this under warranty.

I had him check the rear pads and he said they're in great shape.

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

Pete, is this a cyclical whine like a speedo cable going bad on an old type unit? I have just started hearing the same thing and the front brakes seem to be dragging. Thought it might be a wheel bearing but dealer says brakes are more likely AND covered on my 06 with 11K. Just sayin'

EZ

Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure it probably was...it would be like you riding your brakes the entire time.