General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain suit recomm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Rain suit recomm?

Got caught in the raion yesterday, pulled out the ole rainsuit and finished the ride. Went to get off the bike and pants melted against the pipes. These pants are like clown pants. REAL baggy. Not a wonder that half of the right leg is a black glob on the pipes. Got them through the internet so was unable to get to see how baggy they were. HOw about you pants. Know of a place and good suit the might actually fit a little (or a Lot) better. Now to get some oven cleaner!!! Thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Championr1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rain suit recomm?

Iwant to get this one in steel blue. Its a little expensive but I like the looks of it.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For dedicated rain gear, I use the Tour Master Elite II. You can get the pants with nomex on the inside of the leg so they don't melt to your pipes and they pack up small.

Check em out at Newenough: http://www.newenough.com/browse/bran...ar/tour_master

For all around riding/commuting I'm now using the First Gear HTv2.0 Overpant and a nylon lightweight Harley jacket from a few years back. I still carry the Tour Master jacket just in case I get caught in a heavy sqall, but the pants work fine for most rain storms.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any rain gear I've tried over the years was like wearing a sweat suit. I finally decided it's easier to just get wet and not worry about it.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While that may work for some, I cannot afford to get wet and then work an 8-10 hour day in slacks and dress shirt. And not all rain gear feels like a sweat suit, unless all you tried on were PVC based suits.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a wide blousing band (elastic with velcro) on the leg to keep the pants leg from touching the pipes.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly the best suit I have purchased has been one from HD. I know, I know they are a little pricey $135 but worth it in my opinion. They make them to fit over leathers if you wear them and the pants have heat shields on the insides of the legs to prevent them from melting to the hot parts. The legs also unzip all the way up to thehip and have a Velcro flap that goes over the zipper for more protection.

They have plenty of room and do breath some. Still a little warm but nothing near PVC and some other brands I have tried. If this one ever wears out or I lose it etc. I would buy another HD rain suit. No I'm not an HD homer its just a good product compared to the rest.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

I bit the bullet and got a set of the HD Goretex gear. Cost about 300 bucks from Zanotti's (jacket and pants are sold seperately not as a set). To me it's well worth it. I ride a lot in the rain, and the Goretex gear is about 1/2 the weight of my old nylon suit, packs up about 2/3 to 1/2 the size of my old suit, is windproof, and is advertised to be breathable. I've only had to wear it on cold days so far, so the breathability hasn't been tested. It also has panels on the inside of the legs to help prevent melting on the pipes.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap...Any rain gear I've tried over the years was like wearing a sweat suit...
Yeah, the cheap suits are like that. I picked up a HD two piece suit back in 1995 (or so) that was made outta Varathane...This stuff is the chit. It will let the air pass through...But no moisture..Even at 70+mph. Only drawback...It isn't warm. You gotta wear the whole 'getup' under it to have a prayer of not freezing in the early spring or late fall. I'm also not happy about how it fits around the neck...Too loose. I need to 'modify' it some for a snugger fit. Or get that drysuit hood I've been thinking about.

ORIGINAL: cdestuck...How about you pants. Know of a place and good suit the might actually fit a little (or a Lot) better...
They're gonna be a bit 'baggy' not too much you can do about that. My suit's got the heat resistant material sewn into the lower legs...But I've never layed it against the pipes. Go shopping at the HD stealers or your local Metric stealers. Try some on. I picked up a really nice two piece suiton sale at the local HDplace formywife by 'mixing and matching' tops and bottoms. She's 5', 130#,anda 38D. Kept her nice a dry when we got caught in rain from Atlanta, GAto Lake City, FL one fall.

ORIGINAL: cdestuck...Now to get some oven cleaner!!!
Oh boy....If you're gonna do this...Spray it ona rag (away from the bike, cars, etc), then apply it to the pipes.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:08 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the Gore-Tex rain jacket and pants. Works great and breathes well for warm weather.

Quick Reply: Rain suit recomm?