General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain suit recomm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Rain suit recomm?

Go with HD

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
theoldguy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the HD suit, my only complaint is they don't make the pants long enough for me... LOL. So I gotta wear 'em down further on my waist than I really care to, but what the heck, at least I'm moderately comfortable and dry. Don't forget the gloves, rain can feel like needles when it hits skin.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I got an inexpensive set from: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...t_Code=50-5801

Worked great! Elastic goes around bottom of boot nice touch, and buttons at ankle so no removing boot to get pants on. Not sure how it would be in warm weather, I used it over my pants AND jacket (got extra large) and I was fine but it was chilly. Can't beat it for the price. I don't plan on doing much rain riding but so far this year it has rained maybe three days in So Cal and I got caught in it all three days, just stopped and put on my gear & I was fine!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:30 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: cdestuck

Got caught in the raion yesterday, pulled out the ole rainsuit and finished the ride. Went to get off the bike and pants melted against the pipes. These pants are like clown pants. REAL baggy. Not a wonder that half of the right leg is a black glob on the pipes. Got them through the internet so was unable to get to see how baggy they were. HOw about you pants. Know of a place and good suit the might actually fit a little (or a Lot) better. Now to get some oven cleaner!!! Thanks

You can get cheaper rain suits. They are not gonna have heat shields on the pants leg.

I bought the Harley 2 piece. I wanted to see how they fit before I bought it. Zippers and velcro down the outside of the legs. Makes putting it on on the side of the road easy.

Ya get what ya pay for.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Which HD suit do you recommend? I've looked at the lightweight packable two-piece and the Overpass suit @ $159...pretty nice but I'm not sure I want to pay that much.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

I just ordered a Frogg Toggs "Road Toad" motorcycle rain suit on ebay for $49.95 with FREE shipping. I've got a long trip coming at the end of the month and have never owned rain gear before, but I've also never faced the possibility of riding repeated days of 500+ miles in the wet.

Sorry no experience with the suit yet, so I can't tell you how baggy it is or anything, but Frogg Toggs are highly recommended, and I think it's a great price. The one thing I'll probably do to the suit, is to sew on a patch of ironing board material to the inner right leg for my 2-1 exhaust...just in case.

PS:...forgot the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frogg-toggs-togg...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically, I wear a pair of Aerostitch Darien pants (Cordura, Gore-Tex, lightly armored, awesome) anytime I'm going to ride any further than 40-50 miles. Depending on the temperature, I wear a thin pair or heavier pair of full underwear under them. That's it, rain or shine. No pulling anything else on over them when you encounter rain. On top I wear the jacket from a Teknic rainsuit that the crappy pants are dead. That goes right over whatever it I was I was wearing that day, leather jacket, or textile jacket, and whatever, windshirt, electric vest, fleece, once again depending on the temperature. On the feet I wear just regular boots, (Sidi) and whatever socks I require. Fairing lowers work great in anything less than a monsoon at highway velocities.

CN

Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I sent you off an email, but after looking at the link you posted....I'm not thrilled with that particular suit.

Some Reasons:
Should be bib type pants.
Pants don't have stirrups (which means they could/will 'ride-up' your leg).
Suit doesn't have sufficient reflective material...The piping isn't enough IMO. You wanna be seen.
Jacket doesn't have sufficient pockets.
Jacket doesn't look like it fits snuggly around neck.
Jacket doesn't look long enough to cover pants sufficiently while seated.
Jacket arm length may be too short (causing jacket to ride up in back-entry point for water since the pants aren't bibs)
Jacket doesn't appear to have a 'drawstring' to snug it around your midsection (keeps it from flapping and riding up allowing water to drain into the non-bib pants).

That suit is probably very good for outdoor activities: golf, hiking, spectating, etc...But IMO, you would be better off with a suit specifically designed for motorcycling. Trust me, I've got lots of miles in 'post hurricane' type weather...Don't skimp on your raingear.

Just my .02. And I'm certain that I'll get:

By someone that has this particular suit....But I've been wet (soaked pouring water out of boots wet), and I've been dry...I prefer dry.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Me and the wife were out for a ride yesterday and got caught in an isolated thunderstorm. It was raining so hard I couldn't see 50 feet in front of us and my Panoptx Cyclone FX glasses fogged up so bad that I had to rip them off and take the rain in the eyes. Were going to the HD dealer today to get some rain gear.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Which HD suit do you recommend? I've looked at the lightweight packable two-piece and the Overpass suit @ $159...pretty nice but I'm not sure I want to pay that much.
THe Overpass is a good suit, and not too pricy. The first time you do a 400 mile day in the rain you will know that it was money well spent. I have also used my rainsuit as an outer layer when it is real cold to break the wind.

What ever you get, insure that is has a liner or is breathable so so you don't get the sauna effect. You also want to insure that the inside of the lower leg is paneled with a heat proof material so you don't melt it.

Bill

Quick Reply: Rain suit recomm?