General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

June trip to South Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:35 PM
afloridapi
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default June trip to South Dakota

Advice needed. I'm planning to ride from Florida to South Dakota the first week of June. My first thought was to stay in Rapid City the whole time and do day rides to Deadwood, Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, and Crazy Horse Memorial.

I'm wondering if I could float from motel to motel without reservation and stay in all the above listed areas.

Can anyone tell me how booked motels are in the region during June? Would I run into the problem of not finding a room each night?

Old 02-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by afloridapi
Advice needed. I'm planning to ride from Florida to South Dakota the first week of June. My first thought was to stay in Rapid City the whole time and do day rides to Deadwood, Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, and Crazy Horse Memorial.

I'm wondering if I could float from motel to motel without reservation and stay in all the above listed areas.

Can anyone tell me how booked motels are in the region during June? Would I run into the problem of not finding a room each night?

If it was me I would stay in Rapid and ride to all the other places mentioned. I have already booked rooms in Deadwood for the middle of June, they were available but not plentiful. It is a nice ride from Rapid anyway.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by afloridapi

We stayed in Rapid City last year, and road to each of those sites daily.
Each of the places you listed are easy day trips to and from Rapid City.

This year we have reservations in Spearfish for the end of July, first week of August.

Remember, this is a tourist area even without the Rally going on, so sometimes nice places to stay might be difficult.

I don't think everything will be booked up, but choices might be limited especially on weekends.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:40 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

All the places you want to visit are easy and short rides from Rapid.

Personally, I'd make my base in Spearfish.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:09 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Looks like you might be there for the June Volksmarch. This is an unbelievable opportunity, you get to hike to the top of Crazy Horse and it's absolutely amazing. I stay on the Hill when I go. The week before Rally I had no problem finding lodging.

https://crazyhorsememorial.org/crazy...olksmarch.html

Attached Thumbnails June trip to South Dakota-p1030304.jpg   June trip to South Dakota-p1030305.jpg   June trip to South Dakota-p1030313.jpg   June trip to South Dakota-p1030322.jpg  

Last edited by rizzo; 02-13-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,797 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Try a hotel in Hill City, that's close to Crazy Horse, Custer Park, Mt. Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

From Rapid City, Devils Tower is the only longish ride...and you are close to the Badlands as well.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Be prepared for any kind of weather. 15 or so years ago my wife and I did a trip up there the first week of June. 50* and raining one day (a bit cold on a bike) and 90* and sunny the next.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:24 AM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Personal preference but I'd stay in Deadwood. Even more centrally located and nice quaint little town. Little farther to Badlands but not much. Check out Booking.com or the Booking app or Hotels.com or the app and try the different towns (Sturgis, Spearfish, Deadwood, Hill City).
Just me, but I prefer the smaller towns.
Super 8 in Sturgis is cheap and cater to bikers, they had soapy buckets, hoses and sponges and towels outside every day we were there (couple weeks before the rally).

Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 AM
wrestlerone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would stay in Rapid city is is pretty close to most of the sites.

Quick Reply: June trip to South Dakota