General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Internal Throttle

I am requesting anyone's input concerning an internal throttle set up on the subject of reliability V/S traditional. I would appreciate any input from someone who has done it for long term. As always, just those with actual experience and not with experience reading an advertisement.

I am building a bagger with a 124 S&S crate motor & HPI throttle body. I am investing in a bike that is built from the ground up clean & reliable. I like reliable more than what it looks like. I despise breakdowns on the road.

Thanks in advance.

H

Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

some of the old Cushman's had one.
simple twisted bar that ran inside if a slot in the handlegrip/throttle.
twist the throttle, pulled the wire, untwist the throttle pushed the wire.
not much to go wrong except wear in the slot.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,458 Likes on 2,781 Posts

I installed one on my 1997 Wide Glide to eliminate all the wires and cables:

I experimented with the internal throttle setup from J&P, total POS. Then I spent the money and got one from Exile Cycles, built like a firearm, very nice piece. You do need to cut the end off of your handlebars and drill a hole for a set screw, no big deal.

To complete the look I did the internal throttle, all wiring internal, hydraulic clutch so I could get the hose in the bars and a Russel mini brake line again so I could get it to fit inside 1' bars. I also had drill my own holes for the hoses and the opening at the bottom of the bars for the wiring needed to be increased to fit everything. Bars came in chrome but the chrome was ruined after all the massaging and drilling, went with powder coat all good.

I started with Flanders Bars setup for internal wiring from the factory. Bars have been on the bike since 2006 or 2007 can't remember. Again, go with the unit from Exile, precision piece. And for the cable adjuster, I took the one that usually hangs under the handle bar controls and put in at the other end above the carb. Bit of a pain to adjust the cable, but it is accessible but also hidden.

As far as maintenance, there is a hole at the end of the grip that I put a large allen wrench in, loosen bolt and grip and outer spiral come right off. Grease it up and put it back on, done. Keep in mind this is how the older Harleys worked utilizing a spiral and solid wire for push and pull. Same idea except you can use a cable since your carb has a spring. Not new technology at all just a little more refined. My Flathead has spirals on both sides, one for throttle and one to retard the spark.

Good luck hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I installed one on my 1997 Wide Glide to eliminate all the wires and cables:

I experimented with the internal throttle setup from J&P, total POS. Then I spent the money and got one from Exile Cycles, built like a firearm, very nice piece. You do need to cut the end off of your handlebars and drill a hole for a set screw, no big deal.

To complete the look I did the internal throttle, all wiring internal, hydraulic clutch so I could get the hose in the bars and a Russel mini brake line again so I could get it to fit inside 1' bars. I also had drill my own holes for the hoses and the opening at the bottom of the bars for the wiring needed to be increased to fit everything. Bars came in chrome but the chrome was ruined after all the massaging and drilling, went with powder coat all good.

I started with Flanders Bars setup for internal wiring from the factory. Bars have been on the bike since 2006 or 2007 can't remember. Again, go with the unit from Exile, precision piece. And for the cable adjuster, I took the one that usually hangs under the handle bar controls and put in at the other end above the carb. Bit of a pain to adjust the cable, but it is accessible but also hidden.

As far as maintenance, there is a hole at the end of the grip that I put a large allen wrench in, loosen bolt and grip and outer spiral come right off. Grease it up and put it back on, done. Keep in mind this is how the older Harleys worked utilizing a spiral and solid wire for push and pull. Same idea except you can use a cable since your carb has a spring. Not new technology at all just a little more refined. My Flathead has spirals on both sides, one for throttle and one to retard the spark.

Good luck hope this helps.
IIRC I remr your pics when you got yours changed.... I really like the whole internal setup...
Been thinking hard bout doin it.. Labor will be costly

Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Harley had one 'till at least 1972.