Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show us your sidecars

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Pic of a '48 I spent 18 months of weekends putting together in the late '80s for a guy. Way too much chrome for my liking but he was paying me, it was his money. Paint was a Porsche Red as I recall. Sidecar frame was also '48. The original tub was so rotted out we could not use it. It became a flowere pot at a house I owned at the time. Found a very nice reproduction one at L-W Sidecars.

Very nice work on this job!!

Here's some pictures of my '56 Goulding Rocket sidecar that I redid a couple of years ago and attached to my '59 Duo-Glide.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Not a Harley Davidson, but still a great sidecar bike <br/>

Old 02-12-2016, 02:58 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I have never been in a sidecar or on a motorcycle with a sidecar, does it ride like a trike?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,627 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I have never been in a sidecar or on a motorcycle with a sidecar, does it ride like a trike?
No! On a hard right turn (tub on the right, American/most European style), it can be easy to lift the car wheel off the road. Can be exciting when you're not expecting it. Hard left turn, really hard, and you don't lean your body way left, you can lift the back wheel, and severe enough, do a forward flip to the right; only seen that in videos, never tried, don't want to. Accelerate, it pulls right, let off the gas or just use the rear brake and it pulls left (with sidecar equipped brake anyway); front and rear together, tracks pretty straight. The asymmetry in handling takes some getting used to, and for a while you might wiggle a bit, but it shouldn't take long for your autopilot to kick in and compensate without thinking about it. Bumps and potholes are going to cause a wiggle, no getting around the change in geometry as the car bumps up and down, tilting the bike.

I got an old Ural a couple years ago to give my grandson rides, and liked it enough to get a newer one (that would start all the time ) last year. Won't replace a 2 wheeler for me, but for another kind of riding, it's interesting. Especially in a few inches of snow; I wouldn't dare try drifting around corners with my Harleys.

If/when I get to a point I can't reliably hold up the Tour Glide, but could ride otherwise, I'd certainly consider hanging a sidecar on it. One thing to remember about sidecaring any bike, you're going to take a big hit in gas mileage. Still way more economical for the mile or two runs to the grocery store, compared to my van, anyway. Way more fun, too. And I put less than 1000 miles on the van last year. One thing that would be real nice with a big twin Harley for the driver, you could put car tires on it and get a lot more miles on them than bike tires. No need for rounded tires on a hack.

I still find it amusing that so many people stop and look at a sidecar rig, want to talk about it, and wave when it goes by. My Harleys, any 2 wheeler I've had, never got near that much attention.

Last edited by Imold; 02-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:53 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
No! On a hard right turn (tub on the right, American/most European style), it can be easy to lift the car wheel off the road. Can be exciting when you're not expecting it. Hard left turn, really hard, and you don't lean your body way left, you can lift the back wheel, and severe enough, do a forward flip to the right; only seen that in videos, never tried, don't want to. Accelerate, it pulls right, let off the gas or just use the rear brake and it pulls left (with sidecar equipped brake anyway); front and rear together, tracks pretty straight. The asymmetry in handling takes some getting used to, and for a while you might wiggle a bit, but it shouldn't take long for your autopilot to kick in and compensate without thinking about it. Bumps and potholes are going to cause a wiggle, no getting around the change in geometry as the car bumps up and down, tilting the bike.

I got an old Ural a couple years ago to give my grandson rides, and liked it enough to get a newer one (that would start all the time ) last year. Won't replace a 2 wheeler for me, but for another kind of riding, it's interesting. Especially in a few inches of snow; I wouldn't dare try drifting around corners with my Harleys.

If/when I get to a point I can't reliably hold up the Tour Glide, but could ride otherwise, I'd certainly consider hanging a sidecar on it. One thing to remember about sidecaring any bike, you're going to take a big hit in gas mileage. Still way more economical for the mile or two runs to the grocery store, compared to my van, anyway. Way more fun, too. And I put less than 1000 miles on the van last year. One thing that would be real nice with a big twin Harley for the driver, you could put car tires on it and get a lot more miles on them than bike tires. No need for rounded tires on a hack.

I still find it amusing that so many people stop and look at a sidecar rig, want to talk about it, and wave when it goes by. My Harleys, any 2 wheeler I've had, never got near that much attention.
Sounds like an interesting riding experience with a side car, I have been trying to remember and I don't think I have ever seen a motorcycle and sidecar in person!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Buddy had a '79 or '80 FLH with factory hack in that ugly metallic brown color. He pulled the trunk off, sprayed all the bodywork od green, with white WW2 invasion stars on the tanks. Hand painted 6 small rising sun flags on the hack with Testors & a fine brush.

We'd go to "doings" & various other events & there'd be all kindsa big money, store-bought choppers & a lot of really nice bikes & people would walk right past 'em all to check out Tom's hack.

Perfect for beer runs, too.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of my past sidecar rig. Sorry, not a Harley! I'm in the process of having a Motorvation Spyder mated to my 97' FXSTC. I'll post pics when it's complete.

Attached Thumbnails Show us your sidecars-pict0016.jpg   Show us your sidecars-pict0021.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 AM
slick813
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my 60 pan that I never should have sold, still kicking myself in the *** over that one. And my 00 Road King hack I just got back in September, I knew I was getting 2 new knees this winter and figured the hack might be easier than my CVO Ultra for awhile. And my little dog I'm going to try and haul around this summer. I'm in the market for an original 1966 HD sidecar for my 66 FLH if someone stumbles across one.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

I forgot to mention, kids love 'em.

I think he needs a new Harley jacket, must've grown a bit, used to fit...

Can be used for holiday decorations, too. Is Halloween a holiday?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by slick813
Here is my 60 pan that I never should have sold, .....
I really liked those big old spring seats, think those were the most comfortable bikes in the world back then.

Quick Reply: Show us your sidecars