General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about places that WON'T let you park your bike in their lots?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How about places that WON'T let you park your bike in their lots?

Anyone ever come across any of these places where you live? I used to work as a messenger on a motorcyle for many years, and we would regularly be told that we couldn't park out motorcycles at certain buildings in their lots. We usually would park on the sidewalk right in front or just ignore the parking guy and tell him go ahead and tow my bike. I'll be back in 5 minutes anyway. The question I want to ask is what would be the reason for this? It was not insurance as others who worked in the buildings would park their motorcycles in the structure. It is not like we would take up a whole spot to park our bikes either. Any opinions on here? Outof all of the tall buildings and other places that I used to go on a daily basis very few of them had a problem with us parking in their lot and it always made me wonder.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How about places that WON'T let you park your bike in their lots?

I've never run across that... of course, I don't live in a major metropolis either, so it's probably different.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the condo units in Myrtle Beach will not allow bikes on their property. I guess the homeowners assoc. thinks they are too noisy. Guess the homeowners assoc. people don't ride. A friend of mine has to rent a space at a storage unit to park his bike and he owns the condo.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ABATE of Illinois introduced legislation to prevent such discrimination at public lots. Many reasons exist, the old-fashioned straight gate coming down and injuring a biker precedence set policies at many garages. It's cheaper for them to just disallow motorcycles than to replace with the jointed, breakaway style arms. Others banned bikes based on their experience with trying to control sound. RUBbie, custom-chopper jerks ruined it for the rest of us. Ever notice these clowns just HAVE to crack the throttle when under a viaduct? What do you think they did when inside a parking garage? One last reason is the pavement in indoor garages doesn't get washed by the rain, bleached by the sun and develops a very slick surface. Curved ramps have problems with inattentive car drivers once in a while, let alone "pubescent thrillseekers" which is how motorcycles in general are perceived. Just had a conference between the city of Chicago and scooterists last week about these, among other topics.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my years of riding I've been turned away from only 1 lot. When I asked why they said "it's policy... I just don't know". It was a pay to park lot. When I complained of discrimination the attendant's supervisor pointed to the lot across the street and said "they'll let you park there for free". Which they did. Right under the watchful eye of the attendantnext to the guard shack... go figure...

Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The parking area directly behind the Harley store in Gatlinburg doesn't allow scooters. We asked the clerks at the Harley place why that was and apperantly it's to get revenge on all bikers because not too long ago they lowered the gate on a biker that was leavingand really messed him up (biker's lawsuit still pending).

Number of reasons they don't allow scoots; I couldn't believe the first time HC told me about a parking garage in her areathat didn't allow bikes to park there (first I'd heard of it).

Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

As responsible bike owners, it is incumbent upon all of us to be respectful of any and all parking policies we might come across; irrespective of whether or not we are in agreement with same.

If someone working in a parking garage/lot were to tell me to move my bike or that I couldn't park wherever, it'd be a no-brainer - I'd move along. Ignoring said individual and parking there anyway is not only a pretty sorry thing to do, but it's also a good way to find some damage done to your bike once you are out of sight. If someone blatantly and openly ignored my directive to move their bike, park there anyway and go somewhere? Well, they'd definitely return (even if only 5 minutes later) to find something restricting the movement of that bike until either the cops or the tow truck showed up. Gotta' remember, the parking lot attendants are solely doing their jobs and are trying to enforce the rules they've been told to enforce. For them, seldom is it a personal thing. And even if it is? So what? Find another place to park.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

There are several here in DC that will not allow motorcycles. Part of it is because of the alarms that can be set off, and some places are so tight that they want access to every car to move it. Whatever. Just another one of the joys of the city. I am considering a beater to park on the street. 9 bucks a day is kinda rich, considering what you get!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it does suck that some lots do not allow motorcycles to park in them, but just remember private buisneses have the rigt to refuse service to anyone. So its not discrimination... however the home owners association that bans motorcycles is discriminitory because in my opinion they are not a privetly owned buisness.

Chris

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

Well it does suck that some lots do not allow motorcycles to park in them, but just remember private buisneses have the rigt to refuse service to anyone. So its not discrimination... however the home owners association that bans motorcycles is discriminitory because in my opinion they are not a privetly owned buisness.

Chris
The "homeowners association" can limit vehicle operation to the extent that they wouldreceive NO public funds maintaining the roads.If any funds are used the best they can do is restrict parking on the side of the road or leaving thebike parked in the driveway(instead) of the garage. Some HOA do not allow "truck" plates to park in view overnight. They consider a landscapers truck the same as that 50K PU or SUV.

Quick Reply: How about places that WON'T let you park your bike in their lots?