General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jawbone Bluetooth headset for your cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jawbone Bluetooth headset for your cell phone

Unfortunately, some of us working folks are married to our phones and have to be available to 24/7. It would be a nice feature to be able to hear the phone ring so you can pull over and talk. Maybe even answer and say hang on while i pull over. I too would be interested in knowing how well it works at highway speeds with a half helmet since my commute is 45 minutes long and bad things can happen at work during that time.

As an additional thought... when out on my get away from it all rides, it would be nice to know if something happens to my kids and they are on the way to the hospital someone could get a hold of me to let me know.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I plan to buy a Bluetooth product for use with my 3/4 or full face helmet, but NOT to talk while riding; but touse the cellphone after I have safely stoppedand pulled over,without taking the helmet off, storing it, fishing out the cell phone, etc.

Thanks for the product information and experience provided.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
scott63
Cruiser

I am sorry for your situation with your mother. How about putting the phone in your pocket on vibrate. Do you really want to put a rock in your helmet next to your head?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Bluerose

I've been looking into the J & M setup for bike to bike and an intercom system. I think someone mentioned that they are working on a solution for bluetooth.

They have an excellent reputation and I talk to several people that love thier equipment and swear the clarity of the head seats is better then most others.

I'm not looking for a cell phone setup but I always go for quality.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

My dad drives truck and called me today so I could hear his new Jawbone. I was really impressed from my end. It was a big different from his old one. He had his windows down and radio on. He also walked around outside in some wind. All I could hear as his voice. So, today I went to Cingular to check them out and they had them 25% off so I got one for myself to replace my old one. I did I bunch of tests myself in my car and was quite impresses. I even started the lawnmower. As far as using it on a bike? I think a helmet or strap may press too hard against the earbud. If you don't wear a helmet I would be paranoid of that expensive gadget flying off. Although, It does fit much more secure than my old one. They do make a lot of good ones made for helmets where you can also do vox comms with a passenger and a fellow rider 500 feet in some cases. I did a google search on "motorcycle bluetooth".

Good luck with your decision

Sorry for the extensive post

Christoph

Old 05-14-2007, 12:47 AM
BrianDamage
Cruiser

wish I had a picture of the Harley rider I saw last year at the redlight....he had a regular candy-bar style cellphone shoved up under the strap on his helmet and was sitting there talking "handsfree" ...reminded of the internet picture of the guy with the rubberband around his head holding the cellphone.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you people wanting to use Bluetooth on your bikes the same people that bitch about cagers using there cell phones?

People that think they need there cells 24/7? You think your kids can live without you 24/7? I just check mine when I get to my next stop. It's not to hard.

No need to talk on a cell phone while driving or riding. JMHO

Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like it might work, but I'm not sure if it would work without a windshield... The wind blowing through the device might overwhelm it. You might contact them to find out.

I've used several noise cancelling headsets while flying, and have had mixed results. Even the Bose headsets aren't perfect and can sound tinny andadd extra noise. All in all, they do knockout theconstant background noises.

Hope this helps since you seem to be getting opinions on cell phone useand not answers to your specific question.

Edmo
ORIGINAL: Drtbag

I'm looking for an opinion on the new Jawbone wireless headset for your cell phone. Anyone used this on their bike?
Thinking about purchasing one and I'd like to know if the noise canceling works at speed on the bike.
Heres the link to their site. Quite amazing in my opinion.
http://www.jawbone.com/

Old 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

Don't judge me by what I ask. I didnt want any opinions from someone that cant walk and chew gum at the same time>>>> Think about it?
I'm not going to explain any further. anybody have an opinion regarding my questions?

Name calling was edited out. I calmed down and thought about it. sorry if I offended anyone, but my name is Dirtbag!
Hey Dirtbag,
Don't worry about the simpleminded weenies. I haven't tried the Jawbone, but have had the Scala Rider for quite some time and it works great. Has an FM radio I listen to mostly, and if you get a call it overides the FM. Works great with the BT phone up to about 45-50 mph. I put about 300 mile a week just going back and forth to work with no problems. Contrary to what the weenies think, there are no buttons to push answering a call as it does it automatically and the volume adjusts to the noise level on it's own and the noise cancelling mike works great. When the caller hangs up it automatically goes back to playing the tunes. Your hands never leave the grips...
To make a call I just have to push 1 button on the helmet and say the name of whoever I want to call. For instance I just say help to dial 911.
The weenies got on me about my GPS too, but that is as neat as sliced bread.
Nobody is trying to get anyone to do anything they do not want too do, so I have never understood the animosity generated by these weenies when someone asks a simple question...
It is very obvious they have never tried anything new...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

Don't judge me by what I ask. I didnt want any opinions from someone that cant walk and chew gum at the same time>>>> Think about it?
'm not going to explain any further. anybody have an opinion regarding my questions?
http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/hea...out533489.html

-Hugh

Quick Reply: Jawbone Bluetooth headset for your cell phone