General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yuasa Batteries- Are They Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:04 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yuasa in the Honda, OEM in the Harley, Duracell in the Hyundai, I don't know what in the Jeep. Living up here in the frozen salt-covered tundra I pull the bike batteries and put them on a tender in the basement over the winter.

I suspect they all come from the same factory...

Old 01-31-2016, 01:41 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,201 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by eeyore

I suspect they all come from the same factory...
No.
As many..many...many battery threads in this forum have covered...over and over...there are almost a half dozen actual battery manufacturers here in the US. We'll omit the imported batteries.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#Y
THere's at least a dozen here in the US.

Yuasa makes their own.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hiway, motoparthub.com Yuasa GYZ 20 HL. $93.59 free shipping.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

My original battery lasted 7years, on a battery tender 90% of the time. It still lives in a garden tractor.

I installed a Yuasa battery 1 1/2 years ago and it's on a tender all the time as well.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Big Crank from Battery Mart is made in the USA and best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

I don't think a lot of people are actually looking at what bike you are putting this battery in. sure, the battery for my touring bike is msrp hd at $180, but I can buy an aftermarket one for $100. your bike being a 1995 softail, does not have the same electrical demands that mine does. your stock battery is 65989-90B from hd and msrp at $130. stock battery has a cca rating of 240.

here is a powerstar agm battery with 270 cca, 2 year replacement warranty, oem replacement for your bike for $67 shipped.

Amazon.com: YTX20L-BS PowerStar Battery For 65989-97B , 65989-90B and 65991-82B Fits MBTX20: Automotive Amazon.com: YTX20L-BS PowerStar Battery For 65989-97B , 65989-90B and 65991-82B Fits MBTX20: Automotive

Old 01-31-2016, 06:12 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several years ago I bought a 'new to me' VS Intruder. Not being real familiar with 'Zuki's' I joined a 'Zuki' forum to learn. Just a few weeks after joining, a longtime member did a pretty intense battery performance experiment and study.

As I recall he had about 10-12 major name batteries, all the same size and spec's, and common to a 1400cc Intruder and comparable bikes. He tested them under several different methods .... all typical at some point in the world of motorcycles.

When all the dust settled and after many days of various tests, two seemed to come out better overall than the others. Yausa was one of the best two as I recall, and the other of the best two was a relatively new comer called "Motobatt". Based on his testing and my need for two batteries at the time, one for the bike and one for a 660cc ATV, I decided to give the newcomer a try. Best decision I ever made.

The ATV I mentioned usually stayed out at my hunting camp through the winter and rarely if ever saw a tender .................but it never failed me even once during 4-5 hunting seasons being left out in the cold and rain for months at a time and only ridden during hunting season. Then during the summer sat idle in the garage, again with no tender and seldom ridden, but still maintained enough 'grunt' to start that ATV without hesitation whenever asked to.

The one I put in the bike provided as good or better service. Granted it was ridden a little more often helping to keep it charged up, but that bike had a next to nothing charging system. Didn't matter, the battery never let me down and was still starting strong when I sold the bike several years later.

So, I'll simply say this. I have no idea how old or how the battery in my 'new to me' Sporty was treated before I bought it, but when I need a replacement it will likely be a "Motobatt" brand.

The only bad word I ever heard about them from any source was that the cases of the "Motobatt" was a sickly yellow color. However I did read or hear sometime ago that due to some complaining the "Motobatt" Co. was planning a different color for typical motorcycle applications.

I've not had a need for a small capacity battery in several years, but when I do I'm certain I'll look seriously at the "Motobatt". I have no interest in the company nor the name, but my experience with them has been nothing short of excellent. Check them out, they might work well for you too.

Regards, Joe.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Battery life will depend a lot on your model bike and usage.

Worst battery life I ever got was in my 92 Softail. The hot oil storage tank wrapped around 3 sides of the battery and cooked it pretty good. Heat kills batteries.

The following users liked this post:
ggrider (06-27-2020)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Yuasa is known to be one of the better battery brands here in Japan, but it's snubbed by Harley dealers (of course) and independents alike in Japan. Most I've talked to here in Japan say that the OEM battery is best. My first one lasted more than 5 years. Hard to beat, so I got another OEM cell...

Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant go wrong with a Big Crank from Battery Mart. It has more cold cranking amps. It starts your bike up Right up. order it and it will be on your door step the next day.
There having free shipping and also there on sale, Check them out.
http://www.batterymart.com/c-big-cra...FYIlHwodn4YCbg

Quick Reply: Yuasa Batteries- Are They Any Good?