General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yuasa Batteries- Are They Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwaycruzer
Does anyone have experience with Yuasa batteries?...
I have one in my 2012 Ultra (but not the battery mentioned in your post).

It is reported they use a slightly purer lead content in their plates which is suppose to provide longer life. I've used in just one year (so I can't personally attest to it longevity) and it turns over very quickly. It's working fine for me.

FWIW, I ordered mine through Amazon. The first one was damaged by Amazon when they packed it (the external shipping box was in perfect condition but the Yuasa box was damaged). Amazon overnighted a replaced to me.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:18 AM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for your input! Think I'll take Bluraven's suggestion and shop locally for a replacement battery.

Semper Fi!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,547 Posts

I bought one locally. that's what my battery warehouse sells as a replacement for the hd battery. have had it in the bike for over 2 years and still going strong.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 AM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwaycruzer
Does anyone have experience with Yuasa batteries? Their maintenance free battery model# YUAM720GH GYZ20HL rated at 20 amp-hours and 310 cold cranking amps sells for $100 thru Amazon, free shipping.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Yuasa batteries have a very good reputation,they also supplied HD with them at some point.Many still made in USA(this matters to some).
But ,if you need a battery right now,a guy on Ebay has Harley oem factory batteries for about half price.
I got one to replace my Dyna's that has been going fine since 2010.
He might just have your size available.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM
hiwaycruzer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Tender

Originally Posted by C908
The battery that came in my Ultra only lasted 2 years 3 months, I never used a battery tender. I replaced it with an Interstate battery that I purchased from my Harley dealer. This time I'm always using a tender unless I'm on a road trip.
Do you leave it hooked up all-year-round?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
They are one of the better battery brands. They make their own, as well as make batteries for a lot of other brands to resell.

They are actually made in the USA....in PA...have been for decades.

A little more expensive than average (although cheaper than Harley labeled batteries (which are actually made by Deka/East Penn..and just marked up a lot of extra money to cover the cost of the Harley sticker on them).

My local Indy shop prefers and sells Yuasas.
There are only 4 battery makers in the usa. That said when I worked for Yellow Freight I would p/u batteries at Deka ie East Pen, take them over to Yusa in Reading Pa and deliver them. They were motor cycle batteries they would label them Yusa and ship them right out. I have been in both plants lots of times and saw all different labels go on the same batteries.

The following users liked this post:
1999 flstf (06-29-2020)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Every bike I've ever owned, prior to my HD, came with a Yuasa. Always performed fine.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,761 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Batteries are a fickle thing. You'd think that "not riding" a bike would "save" it longer. Not so. Don't ride very often and your battery won't make it 5 to 9 months. On the other hand, if you ride the hell out of your bike, (30-40,000 miles per year) your battery will likely last many years. I've heard riders say, "My original battery is still in the bike." With their odometers reading in excess of 100,000 miles. Yuasa brand batteries are very good quality. In fact, that is the brand I demand when I change batteries in my bikes. Altho, I was stuck in Big Bear Ca once, and went to Big Bear Choppers to get a battery because I was stranded. They wouldn't sell me a battery. Luckily, there was a K-mart close by. They carried Sears Die Hard batteries as they are owned by the same Corp. (K-mart & Sears.) Unbeknownst to me, my charging system was dead. I installed that Diehard and rode 110 miles home, knowing the bike would eventually die. It made it home. I charged the battery when I got home and rode it to my indie shop to R & R the reg/rectifier/alt. That same battery was in that bike for the next 5 or 6 years.Covering literally tens of thousands of miles. And it wasn't even the right size! (It was slightly smaller.) My charging system seems to go out about every 60,000 miles, give or take. I'm about do for #4 at this time.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-31-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:46 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Like most things, battery technology has improved greatly.
I think any brand name battery with a good CCA rating is acceptable.

I remember a time when I would replace my bike battery every riding season and I wouldn't buy any battery except from a H-D dealership but last year I ordered a Big Crank for battery-mart and it's starting my bike just like the OEM battery.

I replace the battery(ies) in our "road bikes" every third season (or sooner) and being that we have other bikes (and a generator) I rotate the older battery(ies) into them to get a little more service out of them before I (pardon the pun) re-cycle them!

A battery tender used regularly will help preserve the life of a battery but form my experience, the folks who see to get the most time from their battery(ies)are those who live in cooler temp areas and those that do not take longer road trips.

One of the H-D salesmen at my local dealership has a Dyna model that he bought new and he got 9 years of service out of the OEM battery. That's two or three times the normal battery life that most of us experience.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Battery Mart, 100 bucks to your door.

Quick Reply: Yuasa Batteries- Are They Any Good?