General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
thug
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway

Be very careful on our roads!I find all kinds of crap strewn acrossthe roads around here all they time. Makes you wonder if people really take the time to secure their loads. I know I'm much moremindful about itthan the average motorist because I ride.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kprc/2007051...zjBTWuW48E1vAI

Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway

This is one of the dangers of riding at night. It's hard to spot stuff like this like you can in daylight. If I were one of the the other bikers I'd have been freaked out when I saw this guy go down. Very sad.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That is why I never tailgate. You never know what is on the road. I always want to have enough time to avoid whatever falls off or is thrown out the car window.

My heart goes out to the family of the biker.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/FF718AB2CCD84DCA86BE7736948F6E1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my boss got hit from tire debris being kicked up. it did injure him but not fatally. I reminded him of what I had told him overe and over. you have to creat your safety zone, then maintain it. Someone will always take it away.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife ran over a large log lying parallel in the lane of an interstate, one night. Lodged under her car so badly that we had to get a tow truck come out to raise the car to remove it. Did some damage to the undercarriage and block. Undoubtedly came off a log truck. Woulda been hell to run over it on a motorcycle.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always hate seeing things like that because you never get the whole story. The article says "a group of motorcycles was speeding down the East Loop" and that "the motorcyclist and his bike went into the air, blew out a front tire and struck a guardrail." If speed was a factor, who knows. It's tragic because the rider always leaves someone who cares about them behind.

If you reallyi want to see a crap-strewn road, I-287 here in north Jersey has more trash than you can imagine. I've seen tire retread, crap falling off of trucks, car parts, you name it and I've hit a few in my time, thankfully none with the bike.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
gabe3
Intermediate

There was a guy around here where I live that was riding along on his motorcycle when a truck hit a utility pole and knocked it down and it landed in front of him causing him to hit the pole and thown from the bike killing him. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also had a biker on the interstate go down due to hitting or tryin to miss a deer before help could get to him he was tragically ran over by 3 cars.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One night I was taking the on-ramp onto IH 10 in West Houston and the whole on-ramp was strewn with busted watermelons. Luckily a car or two had preceeded me and I follow through the tire tracks.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM
chambeaux1
Tourer

A few years back there was some lumber on the road and the cars were just driving over it. Well, a large truck hit it and a piece broke off and went sailing into the air. It was about 4-5 feet long splinter piece of wood. Like a spear. And it was coming at me. Luckily I had been paying attention and watched the whole thing. It was going to spear me so I slowed and forced my way into the other lane, riding door handle to grip with the car in that lane while the wood hit where I had been riding. You never know what the ride will involve.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in Cleveland Tenn. a few weeks ago following somebody that was moving a bed in a ranger truck. I was back plenty far enough to avoid trouble but I could see that the mattress wasn't secured. Sure as heck that thing flipped from the right to the left of the truck and just flopped out into the road in front of me byt I missed it no problems

Quick Reply: Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway