General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing Tough Negotiator on a Bike Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016 | 12:34 PM
jeremy_283
|
6th Gear
Default Playing Tough Negotiator on a Bike Deposit

I was set on a Vivid Black Street Bob with Security... until the new Lowrider S dropped. It's everything I wanted out of the Street Bob with more power. All-in-all I've done my research and looked around and initially been quoted $15,800 for a bike (Street Bob) that according to Harley is $14,519 total w/ options. I know an audible alarm isn't that hard to install and I don't think anything justifies that markup.

I will agree to HD's freight charges. Most dealers aren't getting the Lowrider S until March. Is this going to be a hot ticket item that will require a deposit before they arrive? Will they fly off the floor fast or do I wait until they have them on the floor to start talking price?

I want to go statewide with my bike search and I want to offer HD's pricing to the dealer and will be very resistant to budging far from that mark. I'll pay Harley's bike price, freight, and the product cost of the audible alarm/pager system.

Is this a reasonable expectation for pricing? Think a deposit ahead of time is required for the Lowrider S?

Note: I don't want to be tough on price negotiations when someone's holding my cash (deposit) and I'm not holding the bike (that's my only real concern).

Last edited by jeremy_283; 01-29-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2016 | 12:47 PM
mdm
Tourer

Unless you're willing to pay the dealer's price I wouldn't buy a new model (or put a deposit down) before it even hits the floor. The dealer is going to want to see what kind of demand he is having for the model before he starts working lower deals.

Old 01-29-2016 | 02:24 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeremy_283
I was set on a Vivid Black Street Bob with Security... until the new Lowrider S dropped. It's everything I wanted out of the Street Bob with more power. All-in-all I've done my research and looked around and initially been quoted $15,800 for a bike (Street Bob) that according to Harley is $14,519 total w/ options. I know an audible alarm isn't that hard to install and I don't think anything justifies that markup.
What is the extra $1300 over MSRP for? Tax, license, etc???? Some of that may be negotiable, can't hurt to try.

I will agree to HD's freight charges. Most dealers aren't getting the Lowrider S until March. Is this going to be a hot ticket item that will require a deposit before they arrive? Will they fly off the floor fast or do I wait until they have them on the floor to start talking price?
Nobody can tell you how well these bikes will sell. Dealers can do business however they wish. I'd suspect most would want a deposit from you- it's only fair. You can wait till they come in and try to buy or you can try to buy now but expect to put a deposit down with a purchase agreement for future delivery. But again, this isn't MOCO corporate, it's an dealer who can pretty much do business any way they want.

I want to go statewide with my bike search and I want to offer HD's pricing to the dealer and will be very resistant to budging far from that mark. I'll pay Harley's bike price, freight, and the product cost of the audible alarm/pager system.

Is this a reasonable expectation for pricing? Think a deposit ahead of time is required for the Lowrider S?

Note: I don't want to be tough on price negotiations when someone's holding my cash (deposit) and I'm not holding the bike (that's my only real concern).
I'd not give the dealer a dime unless I had an agreement from them on an out the door price. But yeah, if you want them to reserve you a bike now that they won't have in stock for months, I'd be surprised if they didn't want a deposit. That's only fair.

Just start shopping and see what you find out. Nodoby can tell you what a specific dealer is going to do.

Happy Hunting.

Old 01-29-2016 | 02:27 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

If you start asking about making a deposit on a not-yet-available model, the last thing you are going to get is a "good" deal.

Old 01-29-2016 | 02:36 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

It's probably harder to deal when they already have your money. I think I'd wait till they're out.

Old 01-29-2016 | 02:40 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

It's best to wait until the bike is sitting on a dealer's floor before making an offer. New bike sales are down. I'm sure you'll find a Low Rider S when they're available.

Old 01-29-2016 | 03:47 PM
billycocktail
Stage I

I work at a HD dealer in sales, if you negotiate a deal before you give a deposit and get a signed purchase order with all the pricing your good to go even if the bike isn't here yet. These bikes are going to be hot, we already have deposits for 2 so when you get ready to purchase when they come in you could be waiting till July to ride one.. just food for thought! good luck

Old 02-01-2016 | 08:36 AM
jeremy_283
|
6th Gear

I'm starting to lean back towards the Street Bob a bit. To be honest I'm kind of annoyed at dealers' sense of entitlement to tack on ridiculous additional charges and try to feed me incorrect information. The best thing I can think of is to call all stores on a Monday and check their inventory on 2015/16 Street Bobs. The remainder of the week - make a day or two of it and walk into the dealership ready to buy a 15 and be prepared to hop to another shop if I don't get what I want. If they give me the price I want hopefully they can hook it up with a security system and audible alarm same day. I'll ride it home and come back and get my vehicle that night.

Old 02-01-2016 | 08:50 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by 0maha
If you start asking about making a deposit on a not-yet-available model, the last thing you are going to get is a "good" deal.
And there you have it !!!

Old 02-01-2016 | 08:58 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I'd never get caught up in the hype of a new model coming out. In a few years these will be on your local Craigslist for 11K or less.

Quick Reply: Playing Tough Negotiator on a Bike Deposit