General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperGlide

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Take a lowrider, toss the battery cover, and put taller rear shocks on it.. voila... superglide. A dyna is a dyna is a dyna. The superglide has come in many forms over the years, like the 4 speed FX shovels, the FXR's, and now the Dynas... Nothing unique about a Dyna really.. they're all the same just with different trim.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Harley should put the Super Glide in it's hall of fame. It saved them in the 70s. Before that, it was a touring bike or a Sportster; nothing in between. Truly, it was the first "cruiser" motorcycle.

My 2002 FXD is, in my eyes, a proper motorcycle. Mid controls, good replacement suspension front and rear, handlebars for good leverage and a speedo and tach up on the bar clamp and not on the tank.

Without the Super Glide and it's sales in the early 70s, AMF might have closed HD or sold it off. I hope HD never forgets what a critical model Willie G created. It went beyond being a model and became a class of motorcycle that Yamaha was first to copy as a "cruiser" with the Virago model. After that, all the Japanese manufacturers jumped on the train that still sells motorcycles for them.

The Super Glide model may eventually disappear but it's legacy never will.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Take a lowrider, toss the battery cover, and put taller rear shocks on it.. voila... superglide. A dyna is a dyna is a dyna. The superglide has come in many forms over the years, like the 4 speed FX shovels, the FXR's, and now the Dynas... Nothing unique about a Dyna really.. they're all the same just with different trim.
I think that could be said of all the Harley families. One platform, different trim.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

My 2011 FXDC...................man, I miss that bike!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I have never owned a superglide and I am fairly new to Harleys, I looked at pictures and it seemed to me like a street bob with more chrome, what are the big differences with a superglide?
The Super Glide is a motorcycle. It's not a bobber or bagger or anything "-er". It's the closest you can get to a brand new Harley-Davidson 1966 Triumph Bonneville or BSA Lightning.

It has the pegs and bars in the right places so you don't have to ride it lying down or folded in half.

I traded mine in on a new Road Glide Special because I'm doing longer and longer rides, (I put 6,000 miles on it the first three months I had it.), but I miss my '14 FXDC:

Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
That is how I look at it. I am going to change my rear shocks later this year and I would like to get the Superglide battery and electrical cover. I like the chrome bar over the black box. Otherwise I am pretty much done with mine. If the Superglide was still out I think I would have still chose the LR though because of the dual front disks and cast wheels. Unless they brought them out in the Superglide, then I would have bought it.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,822 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Super08
That is how I look at it. I am going to change my rear shocks later this year and I would like to get the Superglide battery and electrical cover. I like the chrome bar over the black box. Otherwise I am pretty much done with mine. If the Superglide was still out I think I would have still chose the LR though because of the dual front disks and cast wheels. Unless they brought them out in the Superglide, then I would have bought it.

Yeah thats a good looking bike, rode an 09 LR for 4 yrs, sold it for a RK, wish I could have kept it.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,822 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The Super Glide is a motorcycle. It's not a bobber or bagger or anything "-er". It's the closest you can get to a brand new Harley-Davidson 1966 Triumph Bonneville or BSA Lightning.

It has the pegs and bars in the right places so you don't have to ride it lying down or folded in half.

I traded mine in on a new Road Glide Special because I'm doing longer and longer rides, (I put 6,000 miles on it the first three months I had it.), but I miss my '14 FXDC:

Thats another great looking ride, man I wish I could afford about 5 bikes.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:30 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Thats another great looking ride, man I wish I could afford about 5 bikes.
No kidding...must have been hard to let go...

Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraefn
No kidding...must have been hard to let go...
It was.

But, now that I've had my Roadie for a few months, it was the right decision, at least for me.

Quick Reply: SuperGlide