General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Drivers Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Aroberts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Drivers Test

Okay, I have my permit and I have been riding my WG around town every day for about 6 weeks. I want to go and take my riding test. I am guessinga WG isn't the best scoot to use for this?

I am signed up for the coarse but I couldn't get in until the second week in Aug.

What can I expect to have to do during the riding test? Can I pass it with a WG? I really don't have another bike to use. The one friend I have that owns a bike has a 800 Maurader, maybe I should use that?

What did you take your test with and what were your experiences?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Jake88
Tourer
Default RE: Motorcycle Drivers Test

If you have been riding for the last 6 weeks, then I would use your Wide Glide. The test usually consists of making a block around the office, blinkers, stopping, lane changing, and bringing it back home. I would stick with the bike that you have the most experience with. Just relax and pass that test! Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

In illinois, the test is not as you describe. The test involves several tight manuvers like weaving around cones and tight U turn etc. It would be difficult on a WG unless you are a very experienced rider. I purchased a Buell Blast for my daughter to practice on and take the test on. That is the bike the local HD dealer uses for the new rider class. After she gets the license and gets some riding experience I'll get her a Sportster.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I remember ( this was way too many years ago ) that in California, I had to do a slalom and some figure 8's through cones. I used a Yamaha 200 because I figured it'd be easier than on a BSA. I could do it on my bike now, but I don't know if I could have done it then.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Jake88
Tourer

Regardless of what the test is; you should use the bike that you have the most experience with. Switching bikes would be like qualifying with a Nascar and racing with a NasTruck! Why would you prepare with one bike and then totally change to another bike for a test?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Find out from the DMV what the course layout is, go find an empty parking lot set up the cones and practice the manuevers. If you ride a WG, hopefully you feel comfortable on it. Practice, pass the test, an enjoy.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

I have to agree however if you want to pass the test ASAP, you could alaways use a smaller bike. What I did was take the MSF bike course in the winter, "Well as winter can be here is W. Washington, no snow just pouring rain ".

Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

in NC they have the test diagram laid out in the drivers manual, if they do that in your state, get a look see of the layout and find a parking lot you can practice in.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell none of you have taken the test in Florida. There is no way you or anyone else could pass the MC test on anything larger than a 50 to 125cc bike. It was not designed for anything larger.

I have seen people fail on 125 dirt bikes and pass on 125 scooters. The scooters have a lower center of gravity and make the slow speed slalom, figure 8's and very narrow right angle turns that are required much easier to accomplish.

Most people here, where I took the driving test rented scooters for the test and rode home on their bigger bikes.

Where I took my test they had a company that rented mopeds for $20.00right in the same parking lot next to the DMV where the test was given.

The testers for DMV even tell you to ether bring a small moped or rent one for the driving part of the test.

Each state testis different and you really need to go see the riding test given so you will know what bike will and will not pass.

As far as the NASCAR analogy, takingour MC test here at lestwith a big bike would bemore like trying to qualify at a go-cart track with a NASCAR.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several years back, I took the Riders Edge course; here in Washington State, that doesn't get you the waiver. So, I rode my Superglide with a permit for several weeks. I spent considerable time practicing on the RE course (I bought a stack of flat cones) and I also found that I could get onto the State testing course in the evenings for practice. The local dealer volunteered to bring over a Buell Blast for the test, but I figured that I should ride my own bike. I passed test with no deductions, while some of the rice burners were not. It was a great condfidence builder. I strongly suggest you get the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD. It was essential, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Drivers Test