General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Drivers Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Drivers Test

ORIGINAL: Jake88

Regardless of what the test is; you should use the bike that you have the most experience with. Switching bikes would be like qualifying with a Nascar and racing with a NasTruck! Why would you prepare with one bike and then totally change to another bike for a test?
The tests make you do things you'd never do on the road, so the NASCAR/Truck argument doesn't hold.

Here in NJ the test is also small turns, etc. EVEN EXPERIENCED RIDERS GO GET AT KAW 125 OR SIMILAR TO TAKE THE TEST ON. If it's like the NJ test, you won't pass on the Wide Glide as a new rider. Jersey test is worse than Illiniois - we have a stop in a turn and a sharp turn virtually in the space of a sidewalk.

Note the people who have done similar tests are telling you you can't do it, cause we know. The ones sayin' "just do it on what you're most comfy with" don't have the hands on 'sperience with a test like this (and they think Nascar cars and trucks are really, really different too!)

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep -- I did the test on my Superglide; later, I practiced enough to be competent doing the practice courses on my Roadking. The new Electra Glide Classic is another story-- I'll need lots miles before I'll feel comfortable at low speeds. Then, I'll wrap the bars and try the course, but not anytime soon!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Alias
Road Master

Look, it really doesn't matter to me who can or can not pass the MC riding test. All I was saying was that first of all, not all statetest are the same and second they are not easy to pass on a large bike.

I really doubt the Motor Officer from WA will be taking the test for Aroberts or anyone else so good for him if he can pass it two up. I was just making a statement that not all riding test are the same from state to state. And that Aroberts needs to find out about his state test and not just assume that he can pass it on alarge bike. Small scooters and mopeds are OK to take the test on.

Who really cares what type of bike you took the test on, the state only cares that you past, not what type bike you past iton.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gunkholes

Yep -- I did the test on my Superglide; later, I practiced enough to be competent doing the practice courses on my Roadking. The new Electra Glide Classic is another story-- I'll need lots miles before I'll feel comfortable at low speeds. Then, I'll wrap the bars and try the course, but not anytime soon!

I'm really impressed with your skills. But first, we all don't have weeks to practice and two some of this stuff doesn't translate to real life. You never go over 20 mph for example typically...

And I agree with Alias word for word. If you don't know the test...

Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my Road Glide I had been off bikes for a couple years and my MC endorsement was expired in Washington, so I had to take the riding test. It consists of the offset cone weave, the right angle corner, quick stop, stop in a 3'X5' box, brake and swere, and a couple of tight U-turns. I think most MC tests are pretty standard. Anyway, I bought the "Ride Like a Pro" video and set up a practice course. In all honesty, with thirty years of riding experience, it was hard as hell. At first, I did not think that I was going to be able to pass this @#$% test! It was humbling.

I probably put in a good twenty-five or so hours of practice and finally had to ride two hours south to Pullman from Spokane to test because you CANNOT get in to test in Spokane within a reasonable time frame. I took the test on my Road Glide and scored 100/100. The lady testing told me that she had never seen anyone handle such a big bike so well. I give 100% of the credit to the great video I watched and the hours of practice I put in. I carry a stack of little cones with me and I try to find an hour or so a week to keep my skills sharp.

This whole experience added immeasurably to my riding skills and enjoyment. I thought I was a good rider- all those years of experience had to mean something, right? All it meant was that I was making the same stupid mistakes over and over. I don't know about Florida (that test seems unfair) but I think renting a tiny moped to take the test is ridiculous- you need to be able to handle the bike you will be riding. The test is a good way to see how well you can perform under pressure. I guarantee that you will not be very successful without practice. Goodluck!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aroberts

I looked it up,

It says you will be tested on

-Sharp Turn
-Cone Weave
-Stalling
-Normal Stop
-U-Turn
-Obstacle Swerve
-Quick Stop

That doesn't help much. I'll call a friend who I think took it in Idaho but I know he moved here from Arkansas so he might not have had to take the driving test here.
Same as here in Va., I tested 2 weeks ago after having a learners for 30 days, passed and done ok except the cone weave....I had a brain fart and tried to do it and keep a straight line and close to the cones.....wrongggggggggg. Need to make a wide sweep and go between them....I used up my points in that but aced the rest of it. Took the test on a sporty custom....I think you will do better on the bike you are used too ....and in the turns...depends on the size of the bike as too which/how sharp of a turn you have to make

wayne

Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

You're right...I can't speak knowledegably about the Florida test because I haven't ridden it (nor will I likely ever ride in FL), although I will say that, if it really is as described, it doesn't match reality (unless, of course, it's for defense against the blue-hairs in parking lots). Aside from the veiled sarcasm, that's precisely why I DO practice from time to time (but not for weeks). My skill set at any speed can always use improvement -- I'm not so full of myself to think that passing a riders' test and doing several thousand miles a year makes me any kind of expert. That's one reason the Motor Officers train & recertify every year. I'm a firm believer in periodic retraining; the MSF Advanced Rider Course is a great example. So is an occasional 10 minute romp in an empty parking lot. Lower speed skills translate directly into improved skills & judgement at any speed. As a pilot, I'm required to maintain proficiency and periodically recertify -- I see riding as no different.

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

I'm really impressed with your skills. But first, we all don't have weeks to practice and two some of this stuff doesn't translate to real life. You never go over 20 mph for example typically...

And I agree with Alias word for word. If you don't know the test...

Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
1200babe
Tourer

Here in California you can only ride daylight hours, no passenger and no freeways on a permit.- Get caught doing otherwise and it is a hefty fine,traffic school , possible impound of your bike and of course a big increase in insurance costs. And if you have an accident doing any of theabove while riding on a permit, your insurance may not have to pay your claim. In order to get your M1 you have to either take the MSF class in which - if you dont dump the bike too many times- MSF give you a license( that still doesn't mean you know how to ride though) or ride your bike a lot and practice slow speed control and then go take the dmv skills test which consists of riding in a straightline between 2 lines- then going both directions in an 11 foot circle., weaving through cones and displaying that you can shift through 1st,2nd and 3rd gears across the parking lot. Amazingly this is very difficult for many riders even those with years of experience. My hubby passed it on his 47 Indian Chief and I did it on my Sporty 1200. Oh yes, if you want the M1 license the test bike you use must be at least 250 cc's. Anything else will only get you a scooter license. I train people to be able to pass the DMV test and have had 33 people take and pass it their first try this year. A 2007 change in DMV rules states that anyone under 21 can only get their M1 license by attending the MSF or any other CHP certified course.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Aroberts

I can't ride at night, have a passenger or ride on the interstate. I do carry passengers and I will be riding on the interstate in a short couple hours. I haven't ridden at night yet. I just want to be 100% legal and not have to think about a riding test again.
Sorry , I forgot about passengers and night riding. Still I don't know why you are in such a hurry. Safety and experiance first....legal means nothing too me when I'm on the road with you.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

years ago i took a pretty fair drivers test in germany. you had to go through the gears on a straight street. then you had to turn around and come back and stop next to the grader. then go through some realistically placed cones.
i cant figure out why they now have these miniscule test courses that most adult motorcycles will not pass. i mean why not have testing tricycles that you pedal through the course? it really seems that the whole thing is set up to force you to take a safety course and get the endorsement.
i have a road king and i lay it down every time i practice going through the course...which really pegs out the
"this sucks" factor.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Drivers Test